Aggression

Discussions about turtles.
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

My female RES tried to bite me today. Normally she\'s a pretty timid little girl, but today she went on a rampage. I went to check the themometer, and when I put my hand in my tank she tried to bite my finger. Then she bit the thermometer when I pulled it out of the water. Is this something noraml for an RES. She\'s about about 9 months old and is normally quite shy and friendly......
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

maybe she thought ur hand was food..i noticed that RES\'s especially females tend to be aggressive sometimes..just don\'t let her feel that ur scared of her or something and everything will be fine..it happens:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

My turtles try to bite my sister\'s finger, I really think that they are just playing, they haven\'t tried to bite the rest of us, if you play with them from outside the glass wall with your fingers they will try to bite them, thats why I think they are just playing.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

It\'s normal. You have to remember, all turtles, even if there captive bred, come from teh wild. You can\'t expect a wild creature never show aggression. Maybe try to get her used to your hand in her tank, moving things around. Let us know how it goes.
Willie
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for the help! She\'s getting better about not biting after handling her for a bit
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

great:) hope she\'ll feel safe always
  • Information