peeling shell on bottom

Discussions about turtles.
daydreamin88

I know turtles shed.. but one of mine (Myrtle) is shedding on the bottom side.. and its wierd.. when she walks on my rug i can hear it scratching.. has anyone ever seen anything like this? and is this normal?
And also, if i see her occasionally trying to eat the rocks, do you think I should get her xrayed? I\'m planning on buying bigger stones.. If anyone could help me out that would be fabulous. thanks
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

Why is your turt on the rug in the first place? Is it aquatic or terrestrial? If the floor is really scratchy then that could be the problem. Or if its aquatic then the basking rocks could be really coarse and scratch it off. You need to explain whats going on more, \'cause I don\'t get it.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

maybe they\'re on the rug for walking time..i don\'t know about shedding scutes but what i know is that if ur turtle is eating the gravel then remove them ASAP cz it may cause severe problems to ur little guy..remove them, get bigger stones (river rocks or anything), then help ur turtle get rid of the ones it already ate..get a wet warm clean piece of cloth and rub it gently on its thingy..u\'ll help it that way cz the rocks are blocking many things in there
machen423
Level 2
Level 2

don\'t worry about the bottom of the shell peeling that happened to both my turtles and it was just them shedding so they can get bigger. Them eating rocks though is not good but just make sure to get bigger ones and you will be fine
TOITYS
Level 1
Level 1

I agree not to worry about the bottom shedding. My turtle is 13 years old and she sheds top and bottom every so often. It\'s like us loosing skin cells I guess.
  • Information