courting?

Discussions about turtles.
shellshocked

I am new here, I have had RES for 8 yrs now and currently have one. I never read up on breeding or mating and never knew the sexes of my RES\'s but thanks to you all, I read that a male will flip his front claws like he\'s trembling? Mine has his front claws out and the backs of his (hands,claws,paws) turned in towards each other and acts as if it\'s shaking and trembling...so that means I do have a male and he\'s coming onto a shiny ball? I only have one RES and a shiny shelf in his tank with silver balls on it...he must think he\'s pretty cool looking...he also has bit it several times. Any help would be appreciated. We haven\'t really named this one but I got him when he was the size of a quarter and he\'s as big as my hand now, maybe bigger.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)
that action is the \"turtle dance\" done by males in most cases but not always cz females do it sometimes too and it\'s not always like \"wanna mate?\"..sometimes they might be fighting..ok since ur turtle is still small it\'s not that easy to tell its gender..and it doesn\'t always depend on the hand-shaking..males have longer nails and longer tails than females..
and lol how do u call ur turtle and talk to it? we are turtle freaks in here that\'s why:D
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

You should call him \"Narcissus\"

Narcissus - (Greek mythology) a beautiful young man who fell in love with his own reflection
shellshocked

I just talk to him, ask him what he\'s doing or what he wants...he\'s in my kitchen so he watches me alot...almost begs. I found him standing up on his back legs like he was trying to crawl up the wall. I figure he just wants more snacks. Narcissus is a cute name since he\'s spent so much time in front of his reflection, I\'ll have to see if it rolls off the tongue well when I\'m talking to him...I think it\'s a \'him\'? I should try to post a picture somewhere. LOL
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol yes we have to see that proud guy:)
waiting for the pix
  • Information