Egg Bound RES

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
TOITYS
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! I am new to the posting board but not new to turtles. I have had my red ear slider since she was a week old hatchling. I also had her sibling who died several years ago. Toity is now 13 years old, she\'s by herself in a 125 gallon tank and my buddy. Every egg season she is laying soft shell eggs or no shell at all just yolk. I need to get more calcium in her diet but I can only find powdered versions which just leaches into the water as soon as she grabs it. So far the most effective way has been to put the powder on chicken but I dont want her eating that everyday its too fattening. Does anyone have any ideas how to correct this. Her shell is very strong and hard so I guess all her calcium goes there. Thanks in advance!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

What I did is to take some dried shrimp and mix up some calcium and water then put the shrimp in to soak up the water with calcium, the shrimp will soak up (I think) the water and calcium and since it is already water logged the other water won\'t go into the shrimp, you will still see some leeching but that is from the calcium around the shrimp:D, I hope that helps you out.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

i wet the pellet a bit then i roll them into the calcium powder and i put them on the basking area but enought close of the water so my turtle can grab them from the water..and when she put her head under the water to swallow she have already half of the pellet(with the calcium)in her mouth.so i assume she grab a good part of it..and i think that,even if it\'s seem to dissolve in the water it\'s still there and the turtle drank some..
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Aside from putting calcium powder on moistened pellets, have you tried keeping some cuttlebone in the tank? (If not, buy some in the bird section of a petstore, take off the hard backing, break it into pieces (my turtle likes head-size pieces) and leave a few floating in the tank, replace as needed. You could also try breaking up a few calcium carbonate or calcium glutonate tablets (from the vitamin section) and see if she\'ll eat those.

Green leafy veggies like dandelions, collards, kale, chicory are high in calcium, as is the aquatic plant duckweed.

I occasionally give my turtle some of the bones from canned salmon to eat (I clean and rinse them well to get the oil and salt out of them and then crumble them a little).

Make sure your turtle has access to UVB rays, either from unfiltered sunlight or a UVB light, for her Vit. D3 needs. Without adequate Vit. D3, she will not be able to absorb the calcium no matter how much she is given.
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

try the calcium blocks
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The ones shaped like turtles? The form of calcium they provide can\'t be utilized by turtles readily. Cuttlebone is much better (and cheaper too).
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

really now where do you get the cuttlebone stuff
Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

Just about any pet store in the bird section.
TOITYS
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks everyone for your help I will give everything a try. Yes I do have a lamp for her to get the UVB rays. She\'s up there on her platform most of the day. Thanks again. I\'ll post if it worked when egg season comes again!
  • Information