i want a new baby

Discussions about turtles.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

my boyfriend keeps making me feel guilty that my turtle doesn\'t have a \"friend\" in the tank with him. problem is .. i have a 10 gallon right now. and i really, really want to get another turtle.

i want to wait until august when we move into our new place because this is when i can get a bigger tank. i\'m not putting 2 turtles in a 10 gallon tank.

but by then, my turtle will be a little over a year old. will he be too old to put a hatchling with him? (of course he\'s still pretty much a hatchling himself!) or does it really just depend on his temperment?

the only time he\'s ever snapped was when i had to give him shots for his cold. (which is completely understandable.) he has a loving personality from what i can tell, but maybe his looks are deceiving!

let me know if you guys have any experience or have read any articles about it.

thanks a ton!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

it\'s hard to tell like that cz it doesn\'t only depend on ur turtle\'s personality but it also depends on the new one\'s..my 2 RES\'s didn\'t get along fine but when i got my YBS the aggressive one was very friendly with him..i read that YBS\'s are more social..i don\'t know but there is about 2 months difference between them and the RES is like 3x his size
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

dixieee wrote:
it\'s hard to tell like that cz it doesn\'t only depend on ur turtle\'s personality but it also depends on the new one\'s..my 2 RES\'s didn\'t get along fine but when i got my YBS the aggressive one was very friendly with him..i read that YBS\'s are more social..i don\'t know but there is about 2 months difference between them and the RES is like 3x his size
haha. awh. i want a YBS. maybe i\'ll just experiment. i have 2 tanks if it doesn\'t work out.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol..cool and i hope it does:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Speaking of two tanks, somebody threw out a 10 gallon tank along with filter and bubble maker also some fake plants, so I made out like a bandit, now I can scrub one tank and get it ready for when the other gets too dirty:D:D:D

I know my turtles will be happy:D
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

maybe u can try right now by putting them in a rubbermaid container till u move...and if they don\'t get along u can put one back in ur 10G...if u take a rubbermaid the size of what gonna be ur big tank,u can use the lightning fixture and the filter already and it still gonna be good for when u buy ur tank...just a suggestion...cause by what i read when one turtle get bigger then the other one,the damage(if they fight) can be worse due to difference in size...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hey stray u already got one..my address is P.O.box 4370 :p
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I need it as a spare:D, incase my other one breaks, if I had a third one I would send it to you:D:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ok thanx anyways:D
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Besides, a ten gallong tank wouldn\'t fit in a post office box:D:D, I know, I used to work for the post office:D
ecebolat

rachelmarie wrote:
my boyfriend keeps making me feel guilty that my turtle doesn\'t have a \"friend\" in the tank with him. problem is .. i have a 10 gallon right now. and i really, really want to get another turtle.

i want to wait until august when we move into our new place because this is when i can get a bigger tank. i\'m not putting 2 turtles in a 10 gallon tank.

but by then, my turtle will be a little over a year old. will he be too old to put a hatchling with him? (of course he\'s still pretty much a hatchling himself!) or does it really just depend on his temperment?

the only time he\'s ever snapped was when i had to give him shots for his cold. (which is completely understandable.) he has a loving personality from what i can tell, but maybe his looks are deceiving!

thanks a ton!
I have a turtle I can sell I just can\'t look after it so would you like it
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

yaya wrote:
maybe u can try right now by putting them in a rubbermaid container till u move...and if they don\'t get along u can put one back in ur 10G...if u take a rubbermaid the size of what gonna be ur big tank,u can use the lightning fixture and the filter already and it still gonna be good for when u buy ur tank...just a suggestion...cause by what i read when one turtle get bigger then the other one,the damage(if they fight) can be worse due to difference in size...
good idea, except the reason i\'m not getting a new tank now is because of room. therefore, a rubbermaid wouldn\'t do the trick either. thanks for the suggestion!
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

ecebolat wrote:
rachelmarie wrote:

thanks a ton!
I have a turtle I can sell I just can\'t look after it so would you like it
is it a hatchling? give me more information, please!
  • Information