**turtle bite

Discussions about turtles.
lilo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! New to the boards...I purchased a red eared slider on a street corner in LA for $6 about 9 months ago. My two year ld really liked her and admittedly, we didn\'t know \"jack\" about what it meant to keep her. Anyway, the first few weeks we loved her and played with her all the time until we learned about the salmonella deal. She has an unbelievable personality, I swear, very social..and so we fell in love with her. Since then, we have purchased her a nice aquarium and all seems well. Today, though, for the first time, my now three year old daughter went to hold her during her feeding time..and Lilo bit her! Well this was a first! And it left a nasty mark! She is still very small (she was probably illegal when we purchased her) but MAN, she has a mean bite. I guess my question is did she bite because it was feeding time or because she was intimidated? I just have never seen her act that way! Now even I am afraid to pick her up for cleaning the tank! I don\'t mean to sound like a complete novice...to some degree I have really done my homework...but I guess I just didn\'t expect this!!
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

I would say because it was feeding time. All waters turtles need to be feed in water they can totally submerge themselves in though. It has to do with swallowing.
AKSliders
Level 1
Level 1

Hadn\'t had our Red Eared Sliders for very long and my b/f\'s 8 yr old daughter picked up the male (the feistier one of the two) and it took a snap at her and also left a mark! She had handled him a few times before and is nothing but gentle with him...just likes to hold and look at him. I just kind of figured that he didn\'t like to be held or something. I don\'t know anything about them either and was wondering if they even dig being handled by humans. Made me a little leary of picking them up as well. (I just do it from their tail-end now if I have to!) Anyway, we just have enjoyed watching them in the tank nowadays!! They eat from my hand now though, which I thought was pretty cool! It took me quite a few times to get the courage up to do that, however, after witnessing their bite! Man, they have stronger bites than I first thought!!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

it\'s ok ppl turtles aren\'t THAT smart to tell whose hand is this..my turtle used to bite me a lot but whenever she did it i hit her (gently) on the head and put her in the detention tank until she finally understood she is doing something wrong..i hand-feed her now and everything is fine..sometimes i stick in my finger she comes and sniffs a bit but never bites unless she is sure it is food..
so don\'t worry RES\'s bites are not that bad (not like snappers)..and about the salmonella,,that\'s easy to handle cz all what u have to do is use an anti-bacterial soap..Dial for example is recommended
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

i would say it cause of the feeding time...myself i hand feed the turtle and now she always confuse my finger with food..i mean a finger is way more obvious then a little pellet...and they probably associate that big \"thing\" with food...i would not let my child put is finger in there cause bigger the turtle got,nastier is the bite...my turtle is around 5in now and it\'s hurt when she bite even if i\'m a adult...
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

it is said that all turtlelings are carnivorous when young but when the grow up some turtn hervivorous or omnivorous.
  • Information