turtle died *Moved with previous help*

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
kerflufle1
Level 1
Level 1

Poster Message

kerflufle1
Level: Jr. Member
IP: Logged

turtle died
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally had everything setup and running and ordered my 2 rio grand RES from reptilecity.com. One of the turtles seems fine but won\'t bask, he\'s just scared and hides behind the filter tube. The other came out of the shipping box looking very sick. All he did was lay on the basking rock and I provided plenty of heat lamp and there was no draft. He was too weak to swim. ANyway, He died before I even had a chance to take him to a vet. Is my other baby in Jeopardy? Should I and *how* should I clean the whole tank? I really wish I could find a disinfectant or something that would work. Thanks

01-27-2005 at 04:29 PM Edit/Delete | Quote Reply

dixieee
Level: Sr. Member

Re: turtle died
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

am very sorry for ur loss..u had to give it back to them cz it arrived sick..i know it\'s not easy to just replace ur turtle but it\'s ur right..anyways it happened and all u can do now is take good care of the other guy..ok u will have to clean the tank very good..i don\'t know if there is any special way but u can clean it well with salt or vinegar

01-27-2005 at 04:44 PM | Quote Reply

STRAYKINGFISHER

Sorry to hear about your turtle, I use antibacterial dishwashing soap when I clean my tank, then I make sure it gets rinsed very well before putting it back together.

Great leaders come from good followers,
Indifference is not an option!!

01-27-2005 at 05:02 PM | Quote Reply

kerflufle1
Level: Jr. Member

I just noticed that i put my message in the wrong folder, I guess it should have gone under general or help. Thanks for the help so far, I really appreciate it.

01-27-2005 at 07:06 PM Edit/Delete | Quote Reply

dixieee

don\'t worry we usually check all forums so we don\'t miss anything

01-27-2005 at 07:15 PM
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Don\'t use antibacterial soap (or any other for that matter) to clean with. To disinfect, use 2 oz. of bleach to a gallon of water to clean, then rinse very well (several times at least) with clean water.

In future, if your turtle is healthy, use white vinegar diluted with water to clean with and then rinse well before you put water/your turtle\'s things back in the tank.
  • Information