my turtle isn\'t eating

Discussions about turtles.
pepechan

I just bought my turtle one week ago, but I don\'t think he is eating anything. I just have turtle food that they recommended at the pet store, which I drop in the water. It doesn\'t seem like he ever eats. He just sits by the heater. I keep the water at about 80 degrees so he shouldn\'t be too cold, right? I\'m worried that I\'m not feeding him correctly.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board and congrats for ur turtle:)

don\'t worry new turtles usually don\'t eat for the first couple of weeks cz they feel shy..he sits by the filter bcz he feels insecure too..there\'s nothing much u can do now cz finally ur baby will starve and eat by itself when it feels better and get used to the new environment..all u can do is handle him and play with him as much as u can so he gets used to u..also keep something in the tank for him to eat..tuna fish usually gives the best results cz it\'s smelly..then give him some privacy cz he might move around if he feels nobody is in there..
good luck and keep us posted:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I hope that helps:D
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
pepechan

Thanks for your help! The behavior sounds exactly like my turtle. I\'m glad it\'s normal!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

great:) u are welcome anytime
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

That\'s great, just make sure your turtle sees when you put food in the tank for him so that he/she associates you with the food and won\'t be scared of you any longer, still, give it time.
  • Information