looking for help or any info

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

ok i posted in another thread basically about to let out my concern.. i have 2 res\'s which have been with me for around 20 years... they have never really had a big tank because we were unaware of how much work needs to be done to keep them healthy.. we just always assumed that hey they are reptiles they will be fine.. but now i have found all this info and am really worried.. i have upgraded them to a partially filled 35 gallon tank to a 75 gallon which will be filled to the top once i make my trip to homedepot... i plan on making a plexiglass surround on the top and making half of the top into a basking area.. in the past i didn\'t even have a light!!!! now i have the necessary UVB lighting and will have a basking light.. the tank seems to be very warm (im assuming the water is around 75-76) but i will be getting a temp gauge to know for sure.. are there any things that i can look for to make sure they are healthy.. it seems they have some shell rot for sure.. will this cure with the necessary lighting? i did buy a fluval 304 which seems to be running great and they now have perfectly clean water.. so basically.. can i get any tips as to what i should do in order to ensure that my turtles get to top condition... at this point i might do anything to make sure they are healthy.. they are VERY active in the water.. seem to be basking on the rocks they have setup now (unfortunately only one can bask at a time right now.. that will be fixed within the week).. but anyways.. im very concerned.. any tips?

also.. their shells seem to glimmer with a somewhat gold pigment in some spots.. is this good? bad? neither? thx in advance
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

It seems that you are going in the right direction, water temp. should be between 75* and 78*f (don\'t know the celcius scale), if the water feels warm to you, it probably is too warm for them, I know because I have a thermometer and whenever I go to feel the water, it feels about 60* when the thermometer says it is 78*, as for the shell rot, I\'m sure yaya will have some advice for you, in the meantime you might want to do some reading on it here:
http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/shellrot.html

I hope that helps you out some:D
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

thx for the info.. hopefully i can get my \"basking center\" made within the next few days.. this should definitly help with space in the tank and their basking time etc.. thanks again
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

maybe i don\'t have shell rot.. basically on the edges it looks like the turtles have been bumping into the rocks alot.. maybe thats all they have been doing.. also around there arms (i gues there arms) there shells have a blackish indentation.. anything to be concerned about? ill take pics probably thursday as i really don\'t have the time right now..
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

u said u upgrade enclosure,did ur turtles grow lately?cause i remember someone who had a turtle with gold spot and it was from shedding scute(if i remember well,air got trap underneath).like Stray said u should get a thermometer for ur water..and a tip to help in prevent shell rot is make sure ur turtles can get completly dry in their basking area..
Last edited by yaya on Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)
for the black color on their skin i assume it is normal since ur turtles are almost 20 yrs old which means they are mature and when RES\'s grow older they lose their color and turn darker..for the gold spots then this is normal it\'ll go by time don\'t worry..
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

or could i just send them to someone?
Last edited by purplem3pursuit on Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turtleman1

for the shell rot u can go to a pet store or even a wal-mart and get a turtle health conditioner.(it is shaped like a turtle and u whould need 3 and 3/4 for 75 gallons
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

u can upload the pix to www.photobucket.com then copy their URL and paste it between [ i m g ] the url goes here [ / i m g ]
WITHOUT spaces between the letters..or u can send them to my email and i\'ll post them for u
[email protected]
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

Last edited by purplem3pursuit on Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

cool turtles:) can\'t wait to see mine that size
the pix are good i can see them clearly..
bert looks fine to me,,i can notice something in the 2nd pic at the bottom left-hand side of the shell..
for ernie yes i can see what u mean..there\'s that area at the bottom-middle of the shell..i don\'t know if this is shell rot or not..
i\'m sure yaya can tell she has experience with it

great pix and great turtles:)
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

they do get in fights from time to time and i think that ernie has a battle wound on that front left corner.. one day i went into my room (probably 6 months ago) and he was missing a chunk out of his shell in that spot.. i let it go, told my mom (once again we were ignorant about turtles at the time) and we let it heal.. thats the blackness on the front left corner.. it seems to have healed and looks to be growing out.. maybe im wrong.. but im pretty sure thats what happened.. i cleaned out there fluval 304 today (after 2 weeks) and there was almost nothing in the filter (woo hoo).. so they are happy.. im not happy.. soon they will be happier and I LOVE to watch there big asses swim around
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol it\'s ok as long as they don\'t over-do it..well yeah maybe it\'s just the shell healing
hope they\'re ok,,glad they\'re happy:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Ernie\'s shell looks like he lost a battle with a cat, but the shell looks to me like it is healing pretty good, just make sure they get enough calcium and that they have a source of UV light, whether it\'s a bulb or direct sunlight which is alot better than any bulb, both your turtles look really good, nice shiny shell, do you use turtle wax on them:D:D:D
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
Ernie\'s shell looks like he lost a battle with a cat, but the shell looks to me like it is healing pretty good, just make sure they get enough calcium and that they have a source of UV light, whether it\'s a bulb or direct sunlight which is alot better than any bulb, both your turtles look really good, nice shiny shell, do you use turtle wax on them:D:D:D
believe it or not we had a cat, but she was usually pretty protective of the turtles... lol.. i know bert will bite at ernie from time to time.. as for the calcium.. they have a very nice big reptile bulb that the pet store recommended.. so im sure they are getting a nice share of UV... its a 48 inch bulb and is on for 12 hrs a day... so they both look good? thats what i like to hear
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Yeah, they look very healthy:D, they do seem to need a bigger basking area though:D
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

lol.. i know.. its on the way.. once i get a chance to dremmel out some parts for the surround ill be good to go.. do u think the silicon stuff they use for tanks would be able to hold a ramp going up to the basking area by the edge againts the basking area and a small area glued to the glass?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I read somewhere that they used that silicome gunk to divide the tank into land and water, so I guess you can use it, just make sure the ramp is snug.
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

oh don\'t worry i will..
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Well, good luck and post a picture of your setup when you are done:D
  • Information