Tank Heaters

Discussions about turtles.
belovedbetrayal
Level 2
Level 2

whats the best kind of heater for a 10 gallon tank. i could only find one submergal one for 30 dollars at petco, anyone know of any better ones or cheaper?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Go to this site to compare prices:
http://www.arcatapet.com/category.cfm?catnum=15

[quote] Aquarium heaters
Most fish kept in aquariums come from the tropics. To provide them the best care possible, we need to heat the aquarium.

Aquarium heaters are available in many styles and wattages. They are available in clamp-on types that are cheaper but not as durable, and submersible types that cost more but last a lot longer. There are also several thermostat types, with the expensive, but extremely reliable electronic models being best. Cheap heaters can \'stick\', heating your water to the fish-soup stage in the course of a day. Make sure you have a reliable thermometer to double check, especially when your set-up is new, or the temperatures are changing with the seasons.

Never let your heater run dry, as the glass tubes can crack when not surrounded by cooling water. Also be careful if you bang them against rocks or other decorations. With a heater, you can mix water and electricity - never a good idea. Be cautious, and replace heaters you don\'t trust.

The best temperature for fish will vary with the species. Goldfish or other cold water fish should be around 68 to 74 degrees Fahrenheit ( 20 to 23 Celsius). For tropicals, 75 to 80 F (24 to 28 C) are usually suggested.

5 watts per gallon is a safe ratio, so a ten-gallon would need a 50-watt heater. The heater should be placed in an area with good water flow to spread the warmth evenly.

For more fish information visit, The Pet Professor.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

i would keep looking at petco-type stores. (you could be different, but i\'m not a huge fan of online shopping.)

i got mine at petsmart for $15. (actually it might have been $12!) :)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

That site was only for price comparison, I too would look at stores like petco or walmart, which is where I bought mine.:D
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

do u have a thermometer in ur tank? cause usually my turtle is in a 33gallon and i do need a heater to keep the right temp in the water but since i transfer my turtle in the quarantine tank(which is a 10Gallon)the water temp stay around 75F/78F..and at night i just increase a bit the heater(house heater) in that room..so maybe u should check ur temp for a couple of day,see if it\'s stay at the right temp..cause eventually u will have to upgrade to a bigger tank and a heater for a 10G will no be strong enought for bigger tank...
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

*****!! My friggin heater stopped working \'cause the water level was too low! I hate it when these cheap company heaters for 15 bucks say WATER LINE HERE and WATER LINE THERE \'cause I always have to fill it up all the way to the ***** full level!!!

By the way, the anger smilie doesn\'t work. It ends up like this >:(
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Here, you can copy mine:D

This is the url
http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload ... nghead.gif
TOITYS
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! In response to heaters. I only use Ebo Jager heaters for my turtle tanks because they are the strongest available. My female slider is full grown and can cause quite a bit of damage when she gets excited she has cracked moe than one heater and I am glag never electrocuted herself. They tend to be a bit more money but worth every penny especially for the larger turtles. Hope this helps!
  • Information