Strange New Behavior

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
toxiceagle2007
Level 3
Level 3

I have two wonderful red ear sliders, Fred and Wilma who are about 8 months old. My male RES has been basking much more lately. I\'ve come in on occasion and thought he was dead. All of his limbs and head are on the rock under the basking lamb. His eyes are closed. But as soon as I approach the tank, he jumps into the water and begs for food like always. The take temp is about 80 degrees and the water is about 78 degrees on average. Should I be worried???
Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

Last edited by Jericho199 on Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

if he\'s eating and the eyes look fine then there\'s nothing much to worry about..they like stretching while basking..i got a turtle pile too jericho but i\'ll post a pic of my turtles stretching:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Yeah, mine do the same thing too, but as soon as they see me they jump into the water, I bought them a floating ramp recently and they are just now getting used to it, I caught one of them basking on it a couple of days ago.:D, that is pretty much their cycle, bask--cool off, with eating and playing in between:D
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

i think a lot of people are taking what you\'re saying and making the conclusion that your turtle is stretching his legs and head out to bask.

my guy drastically increased his basking time and would lay on his rock limp with his limbs out and his eyes shut when he was extremely ill.

i\'m not trying to scare you, i just don\'t want your concern to be misunderstood.

but, as long as he is still eating .. he is fine.

just make sure he continues to eat and like dixie said .. that his eyes are not swollen.

let us know if any other signs appear.
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

When my babies are basking and they stretch their legs and heads out really far, I say they are doing their daily yoga. Hee hee.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

LOL---turtle yoga---LOL
  • Information