Do turtles need friends??

Discussions about turtles.
ssajsj

I\'m a new owner and I really enjoy my new turtle (squirt)..but now I\'m wondering does he need a friend? Do they get only???
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:) many people say that it\'s better for turtles to be kept alone cz sometimes they are aggressive..personally i prefer having a mate for my turtle especially if they are still young cz they won\'t be territorial and can learn to share for future needs..if u can afford getting another turtle and ur turtle seems to be friendly then i encourage it..
Zero08
Level 1
Level 1

u stole my turtles name my turtels name is squirt but mines a girl
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol i noticed that squirt and twister are the most common names for turtles
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

dixieee wrote:
welcome to the board:) many people say that it\'s better for turtles to be kept alone cz sometimes they are aggressive..personally i prefer having a mate for my turtle especially if they are still young cz they won\'t be territorial and can learn to share for future needs..if u can afford getting another turtle and ur turtle seems to be friendly then i encourage it..
dixie .. i want to get another turtle .. preferably a yellow belly like your baby. thing is .. i really can\'t get a bigger tank right now. i used to keep my guy out in the living room, but it wasn\'t a good quiet area free from drafts (this is why he got sick) so now he\'s in my room and there is only enough space for the 10 gallon he\'s in.

my question is .. he\'ll be about a year in august when we move into our new place. do you think he\'ll be too territorial by then to get another turtle?

i really, really want another turtle .. but right now i\'m not going to put 2 turtles in a 10 gallon tank.

let me know any information that any of you have regarding getting a baby and putting him with an older (by a year) turtle.

thanks!
  • Information