Tankmates!

Discussions about turtles.
TortugaVert

Is it possible to put a algae eater or catfish in with a red ear slider?? I just got my turtle and thought it would be helpful for keeping the tank clean. Suggestions would be great! :-)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yes there are many types of fish u can put into the tank but keep in mind that anything might be eaten if it\'s smaller than the turtle..i selected parts from this link http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Articl ... tokeep.htm that have to do with ur question but u may want to have a look at the whole think too..

\"Plecostomus – eat algae & commonly kept with turtles. Comes in many varieties & some (like the Zebra Pleco.) don’t eat algae. The common pleco. can get huge at 18 inches in length; this is what most people have used. The Bristlenose pleco. gets 5-6 inches, is fairly large-bodied for its length, and is a great algae-eater although I’ve not heard of people keeping them with turtles. Clown pleco.s stay small at 3-4 inches, and are fair (but not great) algae eaters. Some people say get a pleco. larger than your turtle. Some have kept pleco.s successfully for years. Some have had turtles kill the pleco, eat the pleco, bite the pleco.’s eyes off, etc…a feeder until proven otherwise. Tom C. knows of one turtle who’s shell was bored into by a pleco.; rare, but if you have a large pleco. watch for this (Tom stated “It (the Pleco) was found latched on to the carapace of a young Mississippi Map. This turtle was kept by Kent who was in the process of experimenting with numerous types of pleco.s to keep with turtles,â€Â
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

a goldfish makes a good partner but that also means more cleaning of the tank is required.
  • Information