Wille?

Discussions about turtles.
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

SOwwie 2 shout u out lik this, n really didnt feel lik PMing ppl.( dont even kno if thats on herre) but i saw ur sig n u hav a Texas Map.... i was looking in2 gettin 1... Do u hav ne good pointers, from an owners point of view?
Thanks
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

Sowwie topic name was suppose 2 b WILLIE
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Hi bxslilprincess,

Texas Maps are great little turtles. They stay small, the males only get 3 inches full grown and the females stay under 5 inches. A pair can easily be kept in a 30 gallon.
They really like to bask, so make sure you supply them with a basking spot and a UV bulb. I use the Turtle Ramp as a basking spot for them. You can buy a Turtle Ramp online here:
http://www.alanboschreptiles.com/catalo ... 416183.htm

They also are very good swimmers, so make sure you fill up the tank as high as it can go without them being able to get out by standing on the basking spot. I use sand or a fine gravel would work just as well as a substrate for them. They eat just about anything any other turtle would eat, exept as adults they need an occaisional snail to crunch on.
The only down fall to the Texas Map turtle is that they are are quite shy. Whenever they see you and they\'re basking, they will quickly jump back into the water. It will take some time to realize where their food comes from, but once they do, they can be very tame turtles.
Over-all they are great turtles for beginners and expirianced keepers alike. I really enjoy them, and I know you will too! Let us know more when you get them!
Willie
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

3 inches?? wow that\'s what i call an economic turtle lol..my baby RES is about to become 3 inches!!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Thanks for the info willie:D
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

No Problem. :)

Yes, dixieee, thats why many people with not a lot of space are recomended Texas Turtles over anything else. They are expensive though, I bought mine for $30.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

cool..yes they are expensive but u save lots of money for setups and other things..so it\'s almost the same:)
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks SOOO much... jus curious where did u purchase ur texas map?

i had been thinkin bout gettin a hatchlin red ear slider but thought long n hard n i thought it wouldnt b nice, i hav a 33gallon now, BUT how bout when it grows, i dont now how many is goin 2 b in the future, would i b able 2 buy a 100gallon tank for a turtle, thats y i started looking for smaller turtles

Tanks soo i guess my tank would b enough space n im goin 2 try n use stoshies idea i make n out of tank basking area(out of plexiglass) so i would hav the maximum swimming space available
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

I bought mine from this guy on the Kingsnake Classifieds:
http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=39&de=256046

You can email him to place an order with this email address:
[email protected]

He is a very good guy, he sells lots of turtles every year and everyone thinks he\'s a great breeder.

If I were you, and if you have enough money I would get two males from him. (Don\'t want a male and a female because they are probably related.)
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

thanks alot... i jus was checking the net n saw one for lik $50sumthing bucks jus the turtle without shipping...

buy the way is that guys name Paul...?
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Yea, his name is Paul. His shiping is $25, so 1 Turtle and Shipping would be $55, tweo turtles plus shipping would be $85...
  • Information