Craters?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Lilyth
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys it\'s meee again.

Well the good part is that my turtle has shed a good portion of her shell. She is eating and seems happy. Though she still does not bask often :(

I do not want to waste a trip or the money to go to the vet again, so I thought I would ask you fine people first!

As before mentioned most of her shell has shed with the exeption of the side. However, the area that has shedded is bumpy & cratery, very porouse. Before she shed it was smooth and normal. Is this part of the shedding prosses? is it supposed to be all weird and then gradually smooth out?

your help as always is much appreshiated.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

wb:)
if the shedding is \"stuck\" and can\'t get off by itself then u should give it a hand..try removing them if that\'s what u mean but make sure u don\'t hurt the turtle..it shouldn\'t hurt if they have to be removed cz it\'ll be like dead skin and doesn\'t feel
Lilyth
Level 1
Level 1

no, nothing is stuck. The area has all shed. Basically, th new shell underneath what has sheded is all bumby and pores, and not smooth like before.
Really, it looks liek craters on the moon!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

maybe that\'s the way it is..i\'m sorry i don\'t know a lot about it cz my turtles shed skin and not scutes
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Be careful that your turtle is not being overfed, he/she could develop pyramids, not something you want for him/her, from what I understand they suffer alot when the pyramiding gets extreme.

Visit this site for info on pyramids:
http://www.turtlestuff.com/pyramid.html
Lilyth
Level 1
Level 1

I am sorry, what are Pyramids
it sounds bad
Lilyth
Level 1
Level 1

ooops sorry did not see link..Okay, it\'s not growing upwards, it\'s growing downwards. Like reverse Pyramids.
Her shell more or ledd resemples the surface of the moon!
weird huh
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Just keep an eye on your turtle, make sure it doesn\'t develop into something worse.
piercme86

im not sure if this a help because i own a dbt but i was going through the same thing with my turtle and it turned out he had metabolic bone disease.he is acting normal but his shell looked bumpy and he was molting alot.i wouldnt freak out though .if it worsens i would see the dreaded vet
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

sorry for the little guy..i hope he\'ll be ok
cuteturtlebabe
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, I worry over the small stuff too. My turtle is small and I haven\'t had to take him to see a vet yet however, I would not hesitate if there were no answers readily available on the www...my advice is to at least call the vet. If you have taken you turtle to see a veterinarian that knows the care of reptiles he/she may be able to answer your question over the phone...but if the vet wants to check it out then it is smart to pay the vet bill to save your pet possible pain or even death.
I wish you and your turtle well!
Lisa N Shelby
  • Information