Is my turtle sick?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Christina Bettis
Level 1
Level 1

Is it normal for my turtle\'s shell to peel? I adopted him from a local Humain Society and they didn\'t know anything about him. I have read a little on them but nothing was said about his shell peeling. Is it a diesease and if so what can I do?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

A turtle shedding its scutes is very normal, it is a sign that it is growing up, make sure that the water temp. is between 75 and 80 deg.f any higher and your turtle could shed too much, which might cause problems.

If there is puss connected to the shedding then there might be a problem, but if it is just normal shedding then I wouldn\'t worry, you will also see it on your turtle\'s neck and legs:D welcome to the board:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)
as stray said there\'s nothing to worry about..ur baby is growing and shedding its scutes means he\'s just getting bigger
Christina Bettis
Level 1
Level 1

How long do RES shed for? He is 10-12 in and has been shedding since we got him a little over a month ago. He sometimes gets tiny bubble looking spots under his shell. Is this normal also?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Yeah, sometimes (actually most of the time)air gets trapped under the scute, it is normal, just keep an eye on your turtle to make sure that it doesn\'t develop shell rot.
Christina Bettis
Level 1
Level 1

What exactly is shell rot and how can I tell if my turtle has it?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

• Information