Excess food?

Discussions about turtles.
Fops
Level 1
Level 1

How much is too much food? I was a little worried when one of my baby turtles wasn't eating so, I tried giving them fish and they just went crazy for it. I gave them enough but they seem to be looking for more. How much is enough?

Yay, George is finally eating. :)
LuciasAmen-ra
Level 3
Level 3

i feed my two yougons twice a day, big meal in the morning (a pinchful of shrimp) and about half pinch at night. they seem to like that scale, then everyother i slip in some turtle pellets after they have been in the container with the shrimp, they think its shrimp so they will go after it...
CTzawiyah

Just like Lucias, i feed both my sliders shrimps and pellets too. I want to know if these are their proper diet. Should i change their diet or add new food. I notice you guys give them small fishes. What kind of fishes? Do they really eat them? I'm a new Red Ear Slider owner, so i hope you guys can guide me along. Ermm..is it necessary to put them in a tank?
One more thing (and i'm really worried about this) When i bought my sliders, they were of the same size.Now one is almost twice as big as the other one. What's wrong? Well,i guess the bigger one is female...but i'm really worried about the smaller one. It's not growing....and it SLEEPS alot!! And it DOESN'T EAT!! H.E.L.P!!!!!
LuciasAmen-ra
Level 3
Level 3

the fish i feed mine are feeder guppies, the are small,cheap and the turtles can eat them in one bit. Its also good for them to chase them around. about that tank... How big are your sliders? mine are small and i have a 10 gallon aquarium.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

I also feed mine a mixture of fish and pellets. I guess what kind of fish would just be whatever your turtles seems to find more appetizing. Mine ignored small goldfish in the begining and only ate feeder guppies. Now they like the varity of the two. Like the others I try to make my feeder fish be small so they don't make a mess of the tank. Unfortunately with gold fish you are going to wind up with gold scales at the bottom of the tank.
TheCaddy
Level 1
Level 1

I think that having romaine lettuce available for the turtles at all times is very important. They seem to really like it and my turtle is growing like crazy. He is about two inches and he can eat a whole leaf in one day!
OracleX
Level 2
Level 2

Edit: turtles are 3 years old and live in a 65 gallon tank.
Last edited by OracleX on Fri Dec 21, 2001 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

mine totally ignore the veggies so far. i keep trying and they just totally ignore it. i hope that one day they get into it, but from all the reading and research they only get into vegetation after they get a little older. so far that has proven correct in my four.
poohbear
Level 2
Level 2

how old are they? babies eat about twice a day, teens once a day, and adults eat once every other day... at least thats what i do. good luck with the feeding.
  • Information