Discussions about turtles.
Zero08
Level 1
Level 1

i dont know if my red eared slider is a male or female help me plz
Zero08
Level 1
Level 1

plz help me my turtls name is squirt i had it for a lil over a year and i still dont know if its a boy or a girl
deesygirl

Click this link for information on how to tell the difference. You will need to scroll about half way down the page.

http://www.allturtles.com/newbie/FAQs.php
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

they say it\'s not clear when they are hatchling..what\'s the size of ur squirt? check this site too it has pix maybe it\'ll be clearer than just reading
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Info/info.htm
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

It\'s kinda hard to compare when all you have is one, so here is a comparison picture, notice the poop hole is closer to the shell on a female and the tail is longer on a female, the difference in tail length has to do with mating, the male\'s tail has to be long enough to reach under the female\'s shell (or something like that).
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zero08
Level 1
Level 1

thanks u guys helped me my turtle is a girl
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Glad we could help:D
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Remeber, even at this age it could be hard to tell the sex of a turtle. It is most likely a female, but don\'t bank on it, it may just be a slow growing male. ;)
Willie
SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

the tail should be a give away even if its harder to tell when they are young...but for some reason i always see females with a darker richer green on their shells where as i see lots of males with a lighter green.
Last edited by SQUIRTLE on Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
From: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Show/9757/info.htm

It\'s kinda hard to compare when all you have is one, so here is a comparison picture, notice the poop hole is closer to the shell on a female and the tail is longer on a female, the difference in tail length has to do with mating, the male\'s tail has to be long enough to reach under the female\'s shell (or something like that).
in case you want to edit your post so that people who come across it in the future aren\'t confused. female should be male when referring to the length of their tails. ;) just wanted to point that out for ya.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

squirtle it might work although i figured out (with the same observation method u did) that males usually are the ones who have a more colorful shell:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I really can\'t alter the picture since it is not mine but I will write above it which one is male and which is the female.
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information