Turtle Shipping

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

Hey everyone.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever shipped their turtles before. I am moving across the country with my two RES Penny and Lulla, and none of the airlines will allow me to bring them on the plane. Because I don\'t have a vehicle, I am forced to ship them DHL, the only carrier that will take them.

DHL was very unhelpful, and was unable to give me any advice as to how to pack them. I want to ship my turtles as safely as possible, so I was hoping someone could tell me how they packed their turtles if they\'ve shipped them before.

Penny and Lulla are pretty small...about 3 inches from front of shell to back of shell, and a little over two inches wide. They are probably no more than a pound each.

I know that the turtles would easily fit in a tiny cage or tupperware container, but I\'m not sure how to properly cushion them for the trip, while providing air and water for them to survive.

Any advice? Please post here, or email me at [email protected]

Thanks so much!!
Jessica
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I hope that helps:D
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

although i can\'t help you .. that\'s scary to think about!

good luck!
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks! Those websites are great!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

You are welcome, glad I could help:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i didn\'t check stray\'s sites yet but i read on this site b4 that u can put them in a small container (tupperware or anything)..put a wet towel inside it will help them stay moist and it also works as protection so they don\'t get hurt
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

Hey everyone!!!

I just want to let you know that Penny and Lulla arrived safe and sound today in Florida!

The links above were a HUGE help. I didn\'t know that UPS shipped turtles, but thanks to you, I do now. I wound up going with them because there was one right across the street from my house. The people at the store were awesome, and really did everything possible to keep them healthy and safe.

The links were invaluable...so many things about packing turtles go against your instincts, and I know that left to my own devices, they surely would have died.

Thank you!
Jessica
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I am very happy to hear that your turtles made it to Florida safely, and I\'m glad I could help:D:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yay turtles had a nice safe trip:) glad they\'re fine
  • Information