TURTLE BREATHING THROUGH BUTT

Ask questions about your turtles behavior here. (Fighting, strange things, etc.)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Can turtles breathe through their butts?

Turtles have a single rear vent that is referred to as a cloaca. Feces, urine, and eggs all exit a turtle through this cloaca, so not surprisingly it is quite elastic and the opening can stretch considerably. In a small number of water turtles, the cloaca also possesses a pair of well-developed, vascularized sacs that lead off it called bursae. These cloacal bursae are surrounded by the same thin membrane as the rest of the cloaca. Gas exchange can occur across this membrane when a turtle is submerged and allow some oxygen to reach the blood. In most species this makes a minor contribution to respiration however one species of turtle from Australia has taken this to extremes. The Fitzroy River turtle (Rheodytes leukops) can pump water in and out of its cloacal bursae such that it can obtain as much as two-thirds of its oxygen supply through this route. [Source: Aquatic respiration and diving in the freshwater turtle, Rheodytes leukops by Craig E. Franklin. Proc. Physiol. Soc.]

Michael J. Connor

And I thought I had heard it all:D:D
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

dang! I didn\'t think it was even possible!!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Amazing what you run into when you do searches:D:D:D
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
Amazing what you run into when you do searches:D:D:D
makes me wonder what you were searching for. ;) i\'m only kidding! (sorta!)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol rach..how did that guy even think of it?? am not even glad i knew it..hehe j/k thanx stray:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

You\'re welcome:D

I don\'t remember what I was searching for, I think someone asked about the difference between a water turtle and a land turtle (tortoise)and that took me to this page: http://www.tortoise.org/general/wildfaq ... difference
I read the rest of the entries there and I saw this entry \"Can turtles breathe through their butts?\" and the rest is history:D:D
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
You\'re welcome:D

I don\'t remember what I was searching for, I think someone asked about the difference between a water turtle and a land turtle (tortoise)and that took me to this page: http://www.tortoise.org/general/wildfaq ... difference
I read the rest of the entries there and I saw this entry \"Can turtles breathe through their butts?\" and the rest is history:D:D

i\'m only teasing you i hope you know. ;)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I know, I don\'t take anything too seriously, you get older quicker that way:D:D:D
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

uh oh, I guess I\'ll have wrinkles by 19.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Hold on to your youth, it goes by way to quickly, ask anyone:D:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh yeah..but wait we don\'t have wrinkles by 19!! >:( lol
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Well, I\'m 40 and I still don\'t have them, grey hairs on the other hand are a different story:D:D:D
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
Well, I\'m 40 and I still don\'t have them, grey hairs on the other hand are a different story:D:D:D
hehe. would you die if i told you my boyfriend was 35? don\'t know why that\'s relevant but a lot of older guys find it crazy.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I don\'t find it crazy, to each his/her own, so the saying goes:D
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

It is true, I believe that al long as no one gets hurt and it is not illegal I don\'t see why two people can\'t date, being of different ages and all, I went out with a 19 year old a while ago, it didn\'t work out but it was an experience, taught me never to do it again, she was too unstable(brat).:D:D
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
It is true, I believe that al long as no one gets hurt and it is not illegal I don\'t see why two people can\'t date, being of different ages and all, I went out with a 19 year old a while ago, it didn\'t work out but it was an experience, taught me never to do it again, she was too unstable(brat).:D:D
haha, OK .. well then you\'ve been there .. done that! yea, i\'m extremely mature for my age and definitely not a brat (or anywhere near unstable!) so i think that has quite a bit to do with our lasting relationship. sorry it didn\'t work out, hehe. ;)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol why not! although i find it better to have a relation with someone close to ur age especially when u are young it\'s fun..but i believe in exceptions:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

rachelmarie wrote:
STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
haha, OK .. well then you\'ve been there .. done that! yea, i\'m extremely mature for my age and definitely not a brat (or anywhere near unstable!) so i think that has quite a bit to do with our lasting relationship. sorry it didn\'t work out, hehe. ;)
She pretty much was just looking for a sugar daddy, I\'m not sorry it didn\'t work out.:D, but thanks:D:D
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

dixieee wrote:
oh yeah..but wait we don\'t have wrinkles by 19!! >:( lol
but I will because I\'m a serious person.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

IF it happens then don\'t worry it\'ll be after 20 yrs when u look like a 19-year old:p
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

ok this really has NOTHING to do with this thread, but... how in the WORLD do you add a pic as your signature?! I've been trying all freaking morning!
kelleytidwell
Level 3
Level 3

Lol I've had the same problem but gave up on it lol
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol it's easy if u have an online album..if u don't then use www.photobucket.com

after having the pic uploaded to the album, right click on it and go to properties..copy the URL address exactly as it is and paste it (in the place where u change ur signature in the profile) like that:

[ i m g ] paste the address here[ / i m g ]

but WITHOUT spaces..and there it goes :)
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

AHH Sweet TURTLE PELLETS!! Thanks! I was trying forever yesterday!! Yea!! GOT IT!
Thanks again!
PS: Ok Im not hip on this whole turtle lingo stuff.. sooo what does RES mean?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

cool turtles..the little one is a cutie and the bigger has a neat shell :)

RES= Red Eared Slider
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks! I love the little guys... The baby (Buster Brown) we just aquired a few days ago and the other (Superstar) we have have for almost a year now. I never really knew I was a "turtle lover" but I could NEVER give these poor guys up now! But now that I found this site.. lol.. I think my turtle is fat!! AAHH!! I now know I think I might overfeed him... but he looks so CUTE "begging and pleading" at the front of the tank! What kind of "excercises" can I have him do to lose weight?
Thanks so much!!
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Oh yea one more question.. would it be ok to take him outside and let him run in the grass once or twice a day??? Maybe that would help his chunky butt!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i never knew i was a turtle lover too until i got my babies by chance..well i always loved ninja turtles if it has to do 8) :)

yes it will help but u have to keep an eye on him and watch him really well cz they are faster than what we expect from them..this will be the best exercise since i don't think that everybody has a big pond where they can swim a lot..for the smaller ones, the bath tub will do
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

SWEET THANKS! Yea Superstar is quick as a whip. Right now I've just been letting him run around the living room for about 30 min. twice a day.. The baby is about ready to be "transfered" to his new home and then he should have TONS of room to swim.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

cool :)

remember the bathtub suggestion? don't go for it, lol :lol:
no i'm j/k but i took my babies to the bathtub and they didn't like it..i left them for a whole hour and when i was back they were still exactly in the same spots i left them :o i wanted to move them so i got their pellets and made them follow around..they went crazy and became very agressive that they tried to bite my fingers :x

they don't all act the same way, mine only lost their manners that period so don't worry about urs :lol:
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

never thought it was possible
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

Well, I let the Buster Brown "excersize" in the bathtub, and I turn around for 2 minutes!! and guess what I find.. well... Buster Brown found... a playmate.. Apparently my 2 year old didn't want BUster to swim alone :lol: :lol: :lol:
So I changed my mind. I bought them both bigger tanks.. I figured this way if my daughter wanted to swim she wouldn't fit!
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

LOL she's so cute :lol:
but why not, don't people swim with sea turtles? :P
sxbunny
Level 2
Level 2

:lol: :lol: ok ok.. so thats true.. but does THIS look like a sea turtle?!?! LOL
I can just hear Buster Brown now.. SWIM AWAY!! SWIM AWAY!!!! :roll:
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i'm cracking up :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

My teacher this year gave us 'Useless knowledge' everyday, (she was a bit crazy), and because I was the only one on the team with turtles as pets, (my nickname was Turtle-Woman), she dedicated some useless knowledge to me. And it was what you found stray! I told her I'd get on the boards and ask about it but I never did. So now I can email her and say it's true. It is a little weird though.
  • Information