Algae.

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

Does anybody have any ideas that might help cut back on algae development?
stunt pogoer
Level 3
Level 3

a algea eater or \"pocostomus\" or w/e the heck u spell it.
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

i dunno hoq 2 cut down but i kno that the light causes algae mayb if there was a lil less light or not that close 2 the tank... or yea an algae eater thingy
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Visit the following site for info on the plecostomus:
http://www.plecos.com/art_robert_fenner.php
Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

Plecostemus :)

Most turtles leave them alone. Of my 5 turtles, my female RES is the only one that attacks every fish I put in the tank. If your tutrles are small though I doubt you\'ll have to worry about it.

If you don\'t want fish in the tank, a powerful UV striplight that covers the length of the tank will keep algea from growing. I recommend Repti-glo 8.0 for a number of reasons.

They\'re the highest UV lights available (as far as I know) with 8% UVB and 33% UVA. This not only helps control algea, but it\'ll ensure that your turtles get all the UV they need. After about 6 months, about half the UV output is gone. SO the higher UV bulb you get, the more UV it\'ll still be putting out after 6 months.

Whatever you do, don\'t use a blacklight. They\'ll produce UV and prevent algea, but they aren\'t a natural light and can blind your turtles.

Also, make sure the bulb isn\'t shining through glass, as glass filters out most of the UV.

Okay so this turned into a UV thing, but oh well :D It\'s good for your turtles!!!
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

I went to this pet shop place and they used to sell turtles in this 90 gallon thingy... they had a pleco fish in it but the turtles were all teaming up on the fish and eventually killed it, so I wouldn\'t recommend it for 4 turtles in a cramped aquarium.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Pretty much anything you put in the tank will become a snack:D
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

don\'t light the water, light the basking area only and don\'t keep the tank in a dark area.
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

I have a UV light thingy, but the algae is still there. I\'ll try getting oone of those fishies.
purplem3pursuit
Level 2
Level 2

to prevent the algae, don\'t leave ur lamps on more than 10 hrs.. this should prevent the algae from forming in the tank..
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

btw i read yesterday that algae is not that bad cz when algae starts growing that means ur tank has the right needed things..that\'s the bright side of it so yay for everyone who has that annoying algae! lol
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Algae is not a bad thing, but it is bad when it takes over your tank, that is when it becomes an epidemic. That is why it should be controlled, there are some algae killing tablets that I found at Petco, as soon as I get home I will scan and post the package, you use 1 tablet per 5 gallons of water.
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

Yeah it\'s not ALL over. It\'s maimly just growing in the corners closest to the light, and on the basking area (where the water touches it). I bought a plecostamus thingy fish. The pet store dude helped me pick it out. I\'ll see what happens.
  • Information