I,m new here how does this work

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
sshepbaah

I have three red ear slider turtles. I am concerned because two of them are either lovers or enimies. I have spoken with our local pet store and they don\'t seem to know what they are talking about. How do I determine if it is two turtles fighting for the third or are they courting? Just recently the two turtles with the thick tails ( someone told me that a thick tail means male )The third turtle is not involved at all. What should I do? I am worried that they may hurt each other. I need an expert! Thank you Sharon
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)
first of all turtles with the thick tails are the females and not the males..males have a long thin tail..what are they doing exactly??
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

are they paddling their front paws in front of each other?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

From what I read in another forum the dance can either be a mating dance or a territory thing. I guess it depends on who he is shaking his foot at:D
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deesygirl

The hand fluttering is a mating ritual. However I have 2 males that used to do that to each other until a female was introduced into the pond.

Easiest way to tell the difference between sexes is the front claws. Males have very long claws and the females are very short. You really can\'t be sure however until they are at least 4\", 5\" would be better.

You probably should consider seperate tanks. I have multiple turtles and multiple tanks. Females, generaly, are more territorial than the males. In the summer I have a very large pond for them. My winters are very harsh so I move them indoors. My 2 males are kept in with my 2 juvies. My 3 females share a tank, and the baby has his own setup for safety. I used to keep the males and 2 of the larger females in the same tank until the day I found Sweet Pea latched on to Tanks foot. She really did not want to let go. She gets along fine with the other females though. Funny thing is, she was the first female so she was very used to the \"boys\" as they were tank mates for a few years.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

my female didn\'t like the male i had b4 but she\'s good friends with the new one..maybe bcz the one i had was sick and she felt that..so it depends females are not always territorial..why r u giving us a bad rep :p
deesygirl

The females are the territorial ones. It is better that people understand that early so they don\'t come home one day to find a turtle with missing limbs or as in some cases, the female has actually bit the others head. (Gross as it is)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh no she didn\'t hurt him that way..just dropped him from the basking rocks into the water..i found that mean enough to put her in a smaller tank for detention
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

lol detention
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hehe yeah detention:)
  • Information