turtle slime

Discussions about turtles.
tomandjerry

I hava a question our two slider turtles seem to have developed some slime under their neck and it look almost like their skin is shedding under their necks. What is wrong and what can I do in order for them to get better?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Is it actuall slime or does it look like flakes?

If it is slime you can give them a bath with a soft vegetable brush, and make sure to clean their water at least twice a week, (I need to do that too), last time I cleaned their tank there was slime all over everything, I had to scrub every thing, I have to clean their tank again before the week ends:D

If it looks like flakes it is only that they are shedding, that is perfectly normal, you will see it on their legs and on their shell as well. Make sure their water temp. is between 75*f and 78*f , if it is above 80*, they will shed more often and that is not good for them, if the water is below 75*, they may try to go into hibernation, which is not necessary if they are kept indoors and probably not recommended by most.

I hope that helps:D:D, and welcome to allturtles, nice to have you here.
tomandjerry

STRAYKINGFISHER wrote:
Is it actuall slime or does it look like flakes?

If it is slime you can give them a bath with a soft vegetable brush, and make sure to clean their water at least twice a week, (I need to do that too), last time I cleaned their tank there was slime all over everything, I had to scrub every thing, I have to clean their tank again before the week ends:D

If it looks like flakes it is only that they are shedding, that is perfectly normal, you will see it on their legs and on their shell as well. Make sure their water temp. is between 75*f and 78*f , if it is above 80*, they will shed more often and that is not good for them, if the water is below 75*, they may try to go into hibernation, which is not necessary if they are kept indoors and probably not recommended by most.

I hope that helps:D:D, and welcome to allturtles, nice to have you here.
Thank you soo much I think they are just shedding because it is all over their head and neck almost like a clear flake. Thank you for making me feel so welcome!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

No problem, we are here to help, besides, any new situation that someone comes up with, will help us all when and if it happens to us:D:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ur babies are growing up:)
and as stray said,,we all learn from eachother\'s questions
  • Information