Not Basking

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
TURTLE-MAN
Level 3
Level 3

My turtle isnt basking for some reason i dont know why i dont think she is sick or anything she has been eating but she is also digging in her tank after she eats so im not sure. So if anybody has any information can u please tell me thanks in advance.
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

DO YOU HAVE A MALE TURTLE IN THE TANK
deesygirl

All of mine dig in the tank after eating. They are looking for little pieces of carrot and such that fall to the bottom.

What is your water temp? your basking temp? Basking area needs to be warmer to encourage her to bask. Also is it possible she is basking when you are not looking? Some turtles are shy. :)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yeah it must be looking for left-overs to eat..is ur turtle new? maybe she\'s shy that\'s why she doesn\'t bask when someone\'s around
TURTLE-MAN
Level 3
Level 3

yeah she does run off the rock when i come in my room. the water temp is 84. i dont know the basking temp
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

water temp should be in the 70\'s..i don\'t know if low 80\'s is ok too..she must be shy..spend more time with her and handle her often if u want ur little girl to get used to u
TURTLE-MAN
Level 3
Level 3

i had her for 2 years and i take her out atleast 30min a day
deesygirl

I\'d cut the temp in her water down a bit. Try about 74. When the water temp is to high they don\'t want to leave. :) The basking area should be somewhere around 80-82. Just warmer than the water to \"encourage\" her a bit.
TURTLE-MAN
Level 3
Level 3

my setup is pretty much nuttin ill try to get pix on in a few mins. if i can find my polaroid camera
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

TURTLE-MAN wrote:
yeah she does run off the rock when i come in my room. the water temp is 84. i dont know the basking temp
if she runs off of her rock when you walk in the room .. then she is basking.

definitely cut back on that water temp .. especially since she\'s not a baby anymore.
TURTLE-MAN
Level 3
Level 3

how do you get pix on here
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh ok so she\'s not new..i answered ur question in the other post on the anything goes section
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

What kind of turtle do you have? I\'m not sure, it\'s probably a RES, thats what most people have on here. Because differant species of turtles do not bask the same ammount of time. Yes, do cut back on the water temp and keep the basking temp in the mid 90\'s.
Willie

Your turtle is fine you might just have to much lighting. If not is its shell soft. My turtle was acting like that too. Soak her in a bucket with one crushed tumb for an hour. Once a week and she will be good . its for calcium
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

what\'s a crushed tumb? couldn\'t find about it
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

I think this person is talking about Tums antacid. I have never heard of this before. I have a hard time catching my turtles basking. Try putting a towel over the tank covering the basking area (so they can not see you come in the room)and see if that helps. It helps for my one turtle. (It is shy) Maybe try looking in the window from outside to see if she is basking. I used to try that but my dog gave me away everytime.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

My turtles always catch me when I try to sneak a peek:D I have a curtain in front of my tank and I think it helps, I have caught them basking a couple of times.
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

although my turtles are used to me and to everyone at home but sometimes when they spend too much time alone and someone comes in they jump off
  • Information