Lots of Questions!

Discussions about turtles.
AKSliders
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! So glad to find this site! Happened upon a couple of water turtles & thought them to be a great Christmas present so picked them up on Christmas Eve without knowing a thing aboout them! Quickly realizing that some education was needed (they don\'t just go into a tank of water and that\'s it!) found lots of useful info on the internet. I\'m more facinated by them every day and also concerned that they are being properly cared for as there are no pet stores or other turtle owners here where we live! I\'ve found that they are Red Ear Sliders, a male and a female. They like bananas. They are eating Hikari Reptile Sticks and Rep-Cal Aquatic Turtle Food with fruit. We\'ve put them into an octogon-shaped 40 gal tank and the water temp is 82f with the help of one of those double encased glass tube heaters. Got some big rocks and boiled them and put them in tank along with some plastic plants. There is a long flat rock for them to climb out on, but it isn\'t completely dry as the filter water splahes on it, is this ok? They seem to like to hang out on it. There is a flourescent light in the top of the tank, a regular lamp next to ie and the tank is by a window for light. Do they want a heat lamp, too? The tank is 23\" tall and has 11\" of water in it. They just moved into this larger tank last week and seem to love swimming around in it, but I just read something here about having too much water and possibly drowning! Is this too much water? Also, at night, I\'ve been turning off the light to make it like \"night time\" for them, too, is this right? Been feeding them in the morning and evening, is this enough? Mostly just the above mentioned food and the banana only a few times. Tried spinach leaves, but they were not interested. The only food available to buy here is Wardley Reptile Sticks (there\'s a picture of a slider on the front(:) Any suggestions of good food and place to order on-line? And today for the first time, the male seems like he\'s trying to get out!! He was on his basking rock and tried to climb up the side and landed on his back!!! This behaviour prompted me to find out if this is normal and if we are providing a good environment for them! He was swimming up and down all eight sides of the tank seemingly trying to escape!! Does he not like his home? Can\'t they die on their backs?Also, how long can they stay under water? These turtles are a wonderful surprise...I never really thought about them before and am so happy to have them as a part of my life now! Thanks for any help and info and thanks for this loonng entry. I just want them to live properly and to be happy and to, well, live!!! Thanks again!
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

keep the water clean
feed them twice a day
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

You need to have a UVB lightbulb. Also, if the turtle isn\'t a baby, it\'s ok to feed it 4 times a week and load up the food.

You can move the filter alittle away from the spot if you want.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Try this page for food info:
http://www.turtlecare.net/food.htm

As for the water thing, they can stay underwater for a very long time, when they hibernate they can stay underwater for about six months, there is a way they can breath oxygen directly from the water, mine sleep underwater and occasionally come up for air then go right back to sleep.

Sounds like you have a pretty good setup, turtles will drown if they don\'t have an area to come out of the water to bask or if they get stuck underwater (filter inlet), red eared sliders like to swim so they will need swimming area, they also need a basking light, they make a ceramic heater, I was using a red heat bulb, up until the time a couple of drops of water hit it and it blew up, gotta get another one.

Pretty much what you will need is:
1. water filter
2. basking area with basking light or heater
3. enough water to swim and so if they flip
over they can right themselves
4. water heater, water temp. of
75*f to 78*f
5. UVB bulb for them to process calcium
into vitamin D3

I think that is it:D
someone will make sure I didn\'t miss anything.:D
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

be sure to keep water temp stable and keep the tank away from windows
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to allturtles:) wow RES\'s are the most wonderful turtles..and as other turtles they are fun to watch especially when they get used to u and start acting cute (like coming to u and recognizing u)..

the setup seems to be great..many years ago we had an octagon-shaped tank as a gift and it was soooo huge it didn\'t fit anywhere at home so we had to get rid of it..too bad i could\'ve used it for my babies now:(
anyways,,where do u live cz it depends if it is ok to keep ur turtles beside the window..if the weather keeps changing a lot in ur area then it is not recommended to put them there bcz it might affect the thermometer and it won\'t give the right temps then..u need a UV bulb so they get enough vitamin D which they need from the sun..u already got the heat lamps that\'s great..
ur turtles will not drown as long as they have a place to rest on (basking area) and there\'s nothing around that they may get stuck by..if u already knew the genders of ur babies then i assume they are not hatchlings and so they can swim well so don\'t worry about water level..u can control is as u like but the deeper the better cz they are good swimmers and so they can return to the right position if they flip on their backs..
bananas are ok for turtles but keep them as treats bcz they are rich in some mineral am not sure of it (i think phosphorous???) which is good but occassionaly..spinach and ice-berg lettuce are a NO-NO..it\'s good that they didn\'t eat it..
it is normal if they keep \"trying to escape\"..everyone does and most probably when they do it then it\'s begging for food..seems ur doing fine with the food but be careful they don\'t get overweight..u can add other veggies to the diet too like normal lettuce, apples and many other things..boiled chicken and fish are good as treats too..they like tuna cz it\'s smelly but i suggest feeding them outside the tank such things so it doesn\'t get messy and oily..
i talked to much sorry but when it comes to turtles it doesn\'t stop:)
anyways welcome to the board again and we\'re ready to help u and ur little fellows anytime..can u post pix of them and their setup?
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

the food you are feeding them is fine. two times a day is perfect. just don\'t feed them TOO much .. you can start getting problems when that happens. i feed my guy in the morning and at night, just like you do.

i wouldn\'t keep your temp at 82º bump it down to at least 80º. granted hatchlings need warmer water, but generally a temperature of 82º is for an ill hatchling. if it is too warm they will shed abnormally due to the warm water.

on the flat rock .. is there an area where no water splashes? think of it this way .. when you\'re laying out in the sun would you like someone to be splashing pool water on you constantly? .. that\'s the best way i can look at it. i think that if you could position the filter to not splash on the basking rock it would be for the best. if just a little bit of water gets onto the rock .. this is fine .. mine gets wet from time to time but they should really have a dry area to bask on.

as for having the tank by the window .. just make sure that the air temperature doesn\'t drop too low at night. if they have a habit of sleeping in the water, this shouldn\'t be too much of a problem considering you have the heaters. my guy loves the natural light .. so being by a window is a good thing as long as they have a constant temperature and no cold drafts.

11\" of water is fine for them. my guy loves to swim, but of course since they are hatchlings they just need that area to relieve themselves on. swimming can be hard work! i have a big plant in my tank and parts of it sit just a touch above the water so my turtle is able to rest on this as well. if your plants are like this, you might notice your turtles use the plants as a resting area, too.

turning the light off at night is a good thing. my guy settles down once that light is off and doesn\'t make a peep! ;) (what i mean by that is he doesn\'t move his rocks around or anything .. just knows it is time for sleep!) sometimes in the morning i\'ll wake up before he does. it\'s funny to watch him slowly wake up like a child when you turn the light on.

as for your male .. he might have been positioning himself to bask and just flipped. my guy will put half of his shell up on the glass and slant himself to bask his tummy. to beg, my guy does that swimming against the glass thing. he might just be attempting to be social! ;) i really wouldn\'t worry about it. as long as he\'s eating .. he\'s fine. and he has a \"partner\" to keep him company so he can\'t be lonely. your enviroment sounds perfectly adequate.

if your turtle is ever on his back .. watch him .. generally after about 30 seconds, he\'s back over and swimming/walking around. of course if he is struggling, there\'s no problem with helping him out a little bit! but remember that you won\'t be with them 24/7 and they have to know how to flip back over in the wild.

hope this helps!
AKSliders
Level 1
Level 1

rachelmarie wrote:
the food you are feeding them is fine. two times a day is perfect. just don\'t feed them TOO much .. you can start getting problems when that happens. i feed my guy in the morning and at night, just like you do.

i wouldn\'t keep your temp at 82º bump it down to at least 80º. granted hatchlings need warmer water, but generally a temperature of 82º is for an ill hatchling. if it is too warm they will shed abnormally due to the warm water.

on the flat rock .. is there an area where no water splashes? think of it this way .. when you\'re laying out in the sun would you like someone to be splashing pool water on you constantly? .. that\'s the best way i can look at it. i think that if you could position the filter to not splash on the basking rock it would be for the best. if just a little bit of water gets onto the rock .. this is fine .. mine gets wet from time to time but they should really have a dry area to bask on.

as for having the tank by the window .. just make sure that the air temperature doesn\'t drop too low at night. if they have a habit of sleeping in the water, this shouldn\'t be too much of a problem considering you have the heaters. my guy loves the natural light .. so being by a window is a good thing as long as they have a constant temperature and no cold drafts.

11\" of water is fine for them. my guy loves to swim, but of course since they are hatchlings they just need that area to relieve themselves on. swimming can be hard work! i have a big plant in my tank and parts of it sit just a touch above the water so my turtle is able to rest on this as well. if your plants are like this, you might notice your turtles use the plants as a resting area, too.

turning the light off at night is a good thing. my guy settles down once that light is off and doesn\'t make a peep! ;) (what i mean by that is he doesn\'t move his rocks around or anything .. just knows it is time for sleep!) sometimes in the morning i\'ll wake up before he does. it\'s funny to watch him slowly wake up like a child when you turn the light on.

as for your male .. he might have been positioning himself to bask and just flipped. my guy will put half of his shell up on the glass and slant himself to bask his tummy. to beg, my guy does that swimming against the glass thing. he might just be attempting to be social! ;) i really wouldn\'t worry about it. as long as he\'s eating .. he\'s fine. and he has a \"partner\" to keep him company so he can\'t be lonely. your enviroment sounds perfectly adequate.

if your turtle is ever on his back .. watch him .. generally after about 30 seconds, he\'s back over and swimming/walking around. of course if he is struggling, there\'s no problem with helping him out a little bit! but remember that you won\'t be with them 24/7 and they have to know how to flip back over in the wild.

hope this helps!
AKSliders
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you so much for the advice...I was stressing there for a few!! Made a few adjustments and all seems fine. Just found out tonite that they go crazy over shrimp! This is good as we live in Alaska and there is no shortage of that here. They also like apples. As soon as I can figure out how to post some pics, I will. Have very much enjoyed all of the ones you guys have put on here and reading your entries. Thank you again for your help!!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

You\'re welcome, waiting to see your turtles:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

anytime:) waiting to see ur turtles
  • Information