How do turtles breed?

Here you can direct all your questions about turtle breeding and what to do about those eggs you found that your turtle laid.
Limpy the Turtle
Level 2
Level 2

I\'m asking this question because my sister\'s turtle, Igby, keeps climbing on to my turtle, Limpy. Sometimes she gets annoyed and sometimes she doesnt care. I saw on this one site that they breed by having the male lay on top of the female. Is that true? And if not is this kind of behavior acceptable?
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

how old r they
Limpy the Turtle
Level 2
Level 2

idk how old they are but ive had mine for over a year
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

im sure that it is how they breed has limpy been trying to dig around alot
Limpy the Turtle
Level 2
Level 2

idk but like when i clean her wayer you know when it gets dirty...she like scrapes the wall of her tank so i guess u could call that diiging cuz shes not neccesarily digging into the tank...
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

well my turtle does the same thing but she is too young to be pregnant and their is no male i mean like at the bottom of the tank
Limpy the Turtle
Level 2
Level 2

she isnt eating neither shouldnt she eat to stay like alive and stuff?also Igby is larger than Limpy when he lays opn her is that a problem?
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

try and seperate them then
Limpy the Turtle
Level 2
Level 2

why should i seperate them?:/
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

well you dont have to it was just an idea
Limpy the Turtle
Level 2
Level 2

if the turtle lays an egg should you touch it?
Limpy the Turtle
Level 2
Level 2

also how big are the eggs are they visible? small? big. should u bury them in sand to incubate?
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

first you will want them in sand.

then you will want to take them out of the water or they will drown :(

keep the sand moist and incubate them
Limpy the Turtle
Level 2
Level 2

why will they drown in water does the water go throught the shell
New_Mom15
Level 2
Level 2

The male turtle, when trying to mate, will get on top of the female. Turtles tend to bang around a lot so if that is what either one of them is doind, it\'s natural, they like to bang things up. If you don\'t want them to have babies or they are hurting each other, than seperate them, but if naot, let them stay together.
The most important thing if your turtle lays her eggs inside the water, take them out immediatly or they will drown, second make sure you don\'t turn the eggs over when you take them out of the tank or else you might damage or kill the baby inside, they are very sensitive. If the eggs are stuck together, don\'t try to seperate them, unless it is easily taken apart, keep them together or else you risk the eggs tearing, and I am sure you don\'t want that. If you know the turtle is pregnant or she starts really trying to dig, then get some sort of box and put at least 6\" of vermiculite and incubate them and keep them moist. You should be able to see the eggs if they are laid in the water, but try to have her lay them in the vermiculite. When underwater, the \"babies\" are deprived of water because the shell is meant to protect them, so water will drown them.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Limpy the Turtle wrote:
idk but like when i clean her wayer you know when it gets dirty...she like scrapes the wall of her tank so i guess u could call that diiging cuz shes not neccesarily digging into the tank...
That doesn\'t mean she is trying to dig, she is either trying to get away from you or trying to get you to feed her, mine do the same thing, especially the female, as for one turtle being on top of the other, most turtles do that when they bask, most of us have a turtle pile, just check out my signature:D:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i think they are just piling..if they were trying to mate then they\'ll probably do the mating dance b4..for the digging she must be trying to get out that\'s it and that\'s very normal..
for not eating,,for how long do u have her? if she\'s new then that\'s normal they feel shy sometimes and don\'t eat for the first couple of weeks..
and the eggs,,they are like any other eggs..a turtle should have sand to dig in and when she does u have to remove them quickly from water or the babies will die bcz of lack of oxygen..after u take them out u will have to dig them in soil (just dig and don\'t burry)..NEVER flip the eggs..u can put a small mark on top of each egg while moving them to the soil so u know how they were in the first place..u have to keep the environment moist until they hatch..then treat them as normal hatchlings..

oh yeah i almost forgot,,welcome to the board:)
Limpy the Turtle
Level 2
Level 2

what do you mean dixee by dig dont bury duz that mean put the turtles in a ditch and dont bury them?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

like don\'t cover them totally with sand..just put their bottoms in there
Limpy the Turtle
Level 2
Level 2

but dont mom turtles do that to their babies so they can incubate?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i don\'t think she totally covers them with sand..check this link cz am afraid i\'ll give the wrong info..i have no experience with breeding turtles

http://www.allturtles.com/care_sheets/w ... eeding.php

did she lay eggs anyway??
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Turtles are not like chickens, they will not sit on the eggs till they hatch, they just cover them up and go about their business.

Also, temp. will determine what sex your hatchlings will be, here is a quote from:
http://www.turtlecare.net/breed.htm
5. Provide a box, easily accessible to the turtle, with about 12-16 inches deep
of slightly moist soil, sand, or moss. Most water turtles lay several clutches
per summer with as few as 2 and as many as 10 eggs. Laying usually takes 24-48
hours per clutch with intervals of a few weeks between clutches.

6. Remove eggs after laying. DO NOT TURN OVER THE EGGS. (It is OK to mark the top
with a magic marker or a bit of charcoal).

7. Incubate in a box with moistened Vermiculate (equal parts of water and vermiculite
BY WEIGHT). You get Vermiculate at garden centers. Make small depressions into the
vermiculite and an gently position the eggs. If eggs stick together, you may try
to separate them, but if they don\'t come apart easily, it\'s better to just leave
them alone.

8. Keep the container sealed, except for a few airholes. Inspect regularly (at least
ever week, but not every day). Keep at about 82F. Temperatures around 75F will
incubate slow and yeald mostly males; incubation at 85F will yeald mostly
females for sliders. 100F will kill the eggs.
Spray carefully to keep moist, if necessary.
Refer to the sheet on building an incubator for more information on incubators.

9. Hatching occurs in 60-120 days, depending on temperature.

10. Keep hatchlings separate from adults. Keep water lever SHALLOW.
Feed well-balance diet, at least once a day. Hatchlings are
mostly carnivorous, but you must offer fruits and vegetables.
  • Information