How long do I wait??

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
New_Mom15
Level 2
Level 2

After my turtles\' hatchlings hatch, how long do I wait to find them homes? Do I have to keep them till their 4 inches, or can I find them homes earlier than that?
stunt pogoer
Level 3
Level 3

New_Mom15 wrote:
After my turtles\' hatchlings hatch, how long do I wait to find them homes? Do I have to keep them till their 4 inches, or can I find them homes earlier than that?
no, its only illegal to sell 4 inch turtles in pet shops. you can sell them at any time. i would recommend keeping them for about a month to teach them how to eat, swim, etc.

good luck
deesygirl

It is always illegal to sell turtles under 4\". Sometimes exceptions can be made for transactions between turtle fanciers. To get an exception you will need to contact your local or state Humane society.
Case in point: a friend of my daughters bought a quarter size res from a friend. When the turtle got sick and they took it to the vet, the vet turned them in due to the fact that they did not have the breeding female. This was 2 months ago in Denver. She was able to keep it due to her willingness to turn in her friend and keep the turtle in an approved enviroment.
New_Mom15
Level 2
Level 2

SO then should I wait until their 4\"? Or if I contact the humane society and they say it\'s ok to sell them or give them to a friend, will they only give me permission once they are big enough?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

giving is different than selling..it is illegal but not in all states..many people got hatchlings and many stores give them with setups to break the law..i think it\'s ok as long as u have good homes for them
  • Information