Infertile Eggs? PLEASE HELP...

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
New_Mom15
Level 2
Level 2

My turtle lets out these balls out from her. I read that it might be infertile eggs. She is a RES and she is 4 inches. If they are infertile eggs, does that mean she can have babies?
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

it means she\'s at sexual maturity. she can\'t have babies unless you buy a sexually mature male.
deesygirl

4\" is awfully small. How old is she? Do you have any pictures of these balls?
New_Mom15
Level 2
Level 2

Well I don\'t know how old she is because she was a christmas present and the guys at the pet store didn\'t really take care of her, but her shell tints are dark, doesn\'t that mean she is older. And the people at the pet store kept her in a small tank with only water that went just over her shell. I will try to get some pitures of the balls. What should they look like, because they were like a white color and wrapped in this nasty gooy stuff.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

probably it\'s just goo and not eggs..
mod. isn\'t 4 inches the size of a mature female turtle? i read that a lot
deesygirl

For a male 4\" would be a starting point. Males maturity is reached in 2-4 years. Females are more age dependant than size. Females are usually at least 5 1/2\" or at a minimum of 3 1/2 years. Maturity is reached earlier under optimal conditions. In the wild maturiy in females is not reached until they are 5-7 years old.

As for shell tints that is a real difficult way of telling. If you had the turtle from a hatchling it is easier to tell. My 2 juvies, Jasper and Corky are from the same hatch. Jasper is a very light green and Corky is so dark she looks almost black.

Unless she has acess to a male the eggs are unfertile and you need to remove them so they don\'t fowl her enclosure.

If the eggs (if fertile) or ?? are going into the water they are no good anyway. If you had a male he would actually destroy them.
Does your turtle display any nesting tendencies? She needs a place to lay her eggs if they are fertile. You need to remove her from the tank and place in a box or tub with a minimum of 6\" of moistend vermiculite. After the eggs are layed you can not touch or move them.

This is just the start of the whole egg process. And this is why I strongly discourage casual breeders.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I agree, unless you know exactly what you are doing, I wouldn\'t try it, there is alot of info out there concerning breeding, but nature doesn\'t follow thier instructions:D, If all you want is another baby, just go to a flea market and get another baby turtle, the egg thing is too complicated if you don\'t have the equipment and time necessary for proper egg care.
New_Mom15
Level 2
Level 2

Well I am not trying to become a breeder I just wanted to know if they were infertal eggs. So the tint of her shell doesn\'t tell how old she is, or it\'s just hard to tell?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

If she hasn\'t been near a male in more than two years, the eggs are more than likely infertile eggs, You might want to read this page for info about turtle eggs:
http://www.turtlecare.net/eggs.htm

Sorry about the misunderstanding, someone mentioned about becoming a breeder and I guess I got confused (not the first time, won\'t be the last).:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

unfortunately there\'s no way of telling the exact age of a turtle
New_Mom15
Level 2
Level 2

STRAYKINGFISHER, I didn\'t get mad, I was just saying, sorry if I sounded rude.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

btw, just call me STRAY, caps or no caps:D, I\'m not picky:D:D
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

if the eggs are fertile and you find them the next day then they are dead
  • Information