Feeding...

Discussions about turtles.
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

How do you feed you turtles waxworms and mealworms and crickets? Is there some special way, or do you just drop them in the water.
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

maybe you should cut them up if they r whole. i think you can put it in the water but im not an expert.
stunt pogoer
Level 3
Level 3

bandgeek2709 wrote:
How do you feed you turtles waxworms and mealworms and crickets? Is there some special way, or do you just drop them in the water.
crickets will float, so you can just drop them in... if the other ones float, then yes just drop them in too
stunt pogoer
Level 3
Level 3

no, dont cut them in pieces, because the turtle will go for it more if its alive and moving at the top of the water
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Yeah, turtles will usually tear them up themselves, I have seen them do that with chicken, they\'ll take the piece in their mouth and tear at it with their claws.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yes they can handle such things..btw what makes a turtle stop eating what it used to? mint doesn\'t wanna eat neither the pellets nor the dried shrimps..i tried grilled chicken and meat those two days and he eats them..when i hold the pellets he smells them then goes away as if he is hungry but doesn\'t like the food..why is that? he used to eat them b4 and green still eats them that means nothing\'s wrong with the food???
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Turtles have their own likes and dislikes, you can\'t go by what your other turtle likes or if he liked the food before, I guess it is kinda like meatloaf for us, it\'s ok every now and then, but everyday, it gets boring, mint probably just got bored with the taste of the pellets.:D
Cats are the same way and nobody thinks about it twice, they\'ll just sniff the food and turn their heads and walk away, like they were saying \"what, this again?\":D:D
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

try to starve him a bit by just offering pellet and nothing else...i bet after a day or so he will start to eat the pellet again...
Last edited by yaya on Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

Jade Diamond and Cliff Hanger still eat pellets and its been what they eat for their whole life they seem to be ok....]but i don`t about ur turtles sister dixiee....well just keep trying the pellets or a change in diet ok.....i`ll wait for ur feed back and see what we can do if nothing works out....God Bless and love u....
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

thanx stray yaya and godlinked:)
i know they get picky sometimes but i don\'t give them the same food always..it\'s like pellets in the morning and shrimps at night..sometime i exchange one meal with bananas or meats (meat,,tuna fish,,chicken)..so i really think it\'s not boring at all..yes maybe i\'ll starve him for sometime until he knows how precious those stinky pellets are

thanx again buddies:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Just soak the pellets in the water from the shrimp for about 5 min. so they will taste just like the shrimp, I\'m sure they will eat them then, I know it\'s kinda dishonest tricking them like that but who\'s mom didn\'t do that, you know, like covering asparagus with lots of cheese, or celery with mayo and so on.:D:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hehe yes but i feel bad for him..i went in today and saw him waking up..u know all that rubbing and he keeps acting cute when he sees me..lol i can\'t resist it..i\'m a bad mommy :eyes
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Cuteness is a very effective weapon that they use:D don\'t let them get to you:D:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol the problem is they always do it perfectly..they are so good at it
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Yeah, they act so innocent and shy, when they are really manipulating you:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

that wicked???
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

well he ate today yay!..although i didn\'t starve him too much it was just skipping his breakfast but what i noticed is that he\'ll eat if i break them down into pieces..maybe he\'s just too lazy to do it by himself
thanx ppl:)
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I soak the pellets so that they can chew them up without too much effort, I know, I\'m spoiling them:D:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

they get soaked too but he wants soaking+breaking them down
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Next thing you\'ll know, he\'s gonna want you to chew them for him:D
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i spoiled them..actually everyone did cz if i was away and then ask if the turtles ate i get 4 yes answers lol
  • Information