Fluval 404 question

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

I recently moved my 2 RES into a 55 gal and purchased a fluval 404. It is doing a good job on half of the aquarium floor but the other end is not being cleaned. What am I doing wrong?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Don\'t know, now I am wondering the same thing, I have a bubble stone on both sides so that helps a little with the circulation,
other than that I really don\'t know, I read some of the descriptions for that filter but none of them say anything about how you set it up, but it is a good filter according to them, and expensive, the cheapest one I saw was for $99.95 USD, (*gasp*):D
Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

Where are your intake/outtake tubes located?

There are a couple ways to go about it.

You could put your intake and outtake tubes on seperate ends of the tank (with the outtake blowing water towards the intake side.

You could also put your intake in the middle of the tank, outtake on one end of the tank, and put a powerhead on the end opposite of the outtake.

The most water is gonna filter wherever you intake is. Try to circulate the water as much as possible. Personally I have 2 filters on my tank, one on each end with lots of circulation.
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

They are both on the same side of the tank so I will adjust them and let you know if there is an improvement. I bought the fluval 404 because I read it was the best and is for tanks up to 100 gal. Mine is 55 so I expected \'perfecting\'. What is this powerhead that you are talking about?
booboo
Level 3
Level 3

55 gallons that is huge
Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

Powerhead is just a little device that pumps water to make a current in your tank. Just something to help the water circulate. And yes, fluvals are great filters, but they\'ll only prolong cleaning. I have a fluval 404 and an aquaclear 70 on my 80 gallon tank (170 gallons worth of filtration), and I still change the water once a week.
Bbasso
Level 3
Level 3

I also have the 404 and a 55gal.
to make the filter work best place the inlet & our on oppisite sides of the tank. I have it like that with great results.
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

I made a few suggested changes and I have the cleanest tank in town! Thanks everyone.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Hey reptileman, click on my picture of kermit and see where it takes you:D:D
Bbasso
Level 3
Level 3

reptileman wrote:
bbasso, you\'re back!

Where did I go :P
  • Information