spaying female res

Here you can direct all your questions about turtle breeding and what to do about those eggs you found that your turtle laid.
KELLY
Level 2
Level 2

has anyone ever had a turtle spayed or neutered? I know it can be done but has anyone done it? Just wondering.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

with turtles???
i don\'t know but it\'s easy to control turtles not like cats and dogs..if ur worried that ur turtles might mate then don\'t provide the right environment for it to happen..they usually do it when u drop the temps
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I have searched for about 2 to 3 hours on and off for reference on spaying turtles, I found one but it was actually a procedure to remove mature eggs that the turtle was not able to lay and would\'ve probably killed her, they had to cut a square on her plasteron (bottom shell) to get at her ovaries. The following is from:
http://gctts.org/WS/WS.php/Public/RedEaredSlider4
All of Winky\'s bridge and plastron patches were removed by the vet. The carapace patches were left on. He also removed the square section of plastron where he did her spay surgery back in May. It was slightly loose and attached to loose acrylic patches. She has white tissue under that square but there is no infection and the abdominal cavity is sealed. She will get short daily soaks in clean water with antibiotic ointment put on the belly tissues afterwards. She is on a rubber rack in her container to keep her plastron clean. Another round of the antibiotic will be started. The vet will judge later if she is to have another patch put over that area. We\'ll know more in a couple weeks. We hope that the tissues will toughen and thicken and no more patches will be needed.

I hope that doesn\'t gross you out too much.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

That is the square hole they made in the plastron to remove the mature eggs that the turtle could not lay herself, they tried inducing labor two times with no results, so they had to go in. She is all better now:D, I think.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ouch! it\'s not gross but it makes u feel the pain..poor turtle i hope she\'s better now..what happened to the babies?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

The eggs were no longer any good (probably from lack of oxygen) and the others were immature and since they had to remove her ovaries she can\'t have any more babies, she is doing good, but has other problems, that is as far as that report got.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh ok..it\'s sad to think that even animals have such problems like people
  • Information