HIBERNATION

Discussions about turtles.
JEFFREY
Level 1
Level 1

ANYWAY, TOOK OUT ALL BUT ABOUT ONE THIRD OF HIS WATER AND PUT IN LOTS OF LEAVES AND MUD FOR HIM TO DIG INTO. BUT.. EVERYTIME I GO CHECK ON HIM HE HAS HIS HEAD POKED OUT!! WHY IS HE NOT HIBERNATING? HE SEEMS HAPPY AND HEALTHY BUT I DON\'T WANT TO BOTHER HIM. ON COLD DAYS HE IS NOT UP AND GOING. ARE WE DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT? ANY ADVICE
Last edited by JEFFREY on Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

hibernating is not as easy as \"let him sleep all winter\"..u have to read a lot about it and it is not recommended for beginners..anyways here\'s a link u might want to read http://www.allturtles.com/care_sheets/w ... eeding.php although am sorry it doesn\'t give good info.
Last edited by dixieee on Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I wouldn\'t try it myself, I hear the only real reason for hibernating turtles is because you plan to breed them, it somehow helps with the success of laying eggs.
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
KELLY
Level 2
Level 2

I have 2 res in backyard pond too. The weather has been cold then warm. a couple days last week was in high 60\'s. then in 30\'s 40\'s at night. I see mine with their heads poked out too on the warmer days. Sometimes they are out basking when temps are warmer and there is some good sun shining. I do not have have leaves and mud on the bottom of my pond i use sand. I also keep my water level up to the top. From everything you have said sounds like all is normal but i would put water level back to normal height.
JEFFREY
Level 1
Level 1

thank you Kelly I was starting to freak out when I read the other posts! My goodness.
I will fill his pond up today. he is so darn cute. I am letting him hibernate because we adopted him and my husband is not going to have a turtle living in the house if he is outside he is fine.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i\'m sorry we didn\'t mean to scare u..it\'s just we don\'t have experience with hibernating turtles and we got the info. from what we read
  • Information