Superman\'s Habitat Replicated

Discussions about turtles.
SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

I posted this message in the last topic but I might as well make a new topic so that you guyz can give me some feedback or suggestions:

This is what my posting for the last topic was:

HrmMmMMm....everybody named lotsa stuff already.. lemme think of other ones... I sometimes give them some veggis from a bag of frozen mix (corn, carrot, peas) ..just defrost and they like em, my big turtle loves peas. As for my 2 baby turtles, they like snails.

Dixie and Stray probably remembers them (the 2 stacking turtles) Angel got injured by Bobby. http://www.sfu.ca/~willw/3t.JPG

I just built my 2 babys a new tank and am cycling for the bacteria culture right now, but here are some pics. I\'m not finished yet. I gotta move my basking lamp over and put a few more things. =)

http://www.sfu.ca/~willw/t1.jpg

http://www.sfu.ca/~willw/t2.jpg

http://www.sfu.ca/~willw/t3.jpg

Those type and size rocks are not normally used but I thought it might look kool, and it did..at least I think it does! =) looks like an artic theme. The feeder is my test fish har har har =d

Right now I\'m almost finished building another tank with plants, snails, and endlers (a rare fish I like to breed) for an endless and renewable supply of food for my turtles. I\'ll keep y\'all posted when I\'m done that tank.

Ciao, Squirtle Squirtle!
SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

the yellowish color rock you see in this pic is a calcium block:

http://www.sfu.ca/~willw/t1.jpg

Darn cheap calcium block, looks ugly with my white rocks.... but then my baby turtles need the calcium block, my large RES I just use coral
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh yes i sure do remember ur turtles:) wb..

nice setup i like the basking area too but it is covered with some water or is this my lousy sight? it\'s cool am sure they\'ll love it but where did the tree branch go? i loved it too

waiting to see the full setup and the little babies in it:)
SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

nope your eyes are fine!....the basking area flat rock is sloped so they can climb up from shallow area to shore =d i will incorporate the drift wood a bit later when the water is good to go!
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

nice set-up..sorry,i never have the time to e-mail u but good to see u back on the board...from ur pics i can\'t see if u \"glue\" ur stone together??cause i remember someone saying that she had a turtle squish by a set-up made with rock..
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I like the polar scene, I keep expecting to see some polar bears, maybe put a small polar bear figurine in there to complete the illusion:D, I too liked the branch, but this is nice.:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh ok i see..yes it has to be sloped u did it right:)
SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

hiya yaya

Actually the the basking rock is not glued to the support poles. Thanx for the tip! I will look into it!

It should be ok. I used thick plastic pvc typa tubes taken from my old co2 filter and buried into 2-3 inches of heavy rock. Plus the plastic grid in the back which also holds it up.
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

The basking area in my first tank was built about the same. I went to the pet store and bought aquarium sealant to attach the tubes to the bottom of the basking platform. I also attached the tubes to the bottom of the tank and the back of the platform to the side of the tank. If you use aquarium sealant, it is safe for the turtles. It is strong and it can be peeled off if you decided to change the set up.
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

What is the basking area made of? And how many gallons is the tank? It seems like a tall tank, rather than a long tank, like you normally see.
SQUIRTLE
Level 2
Level 2

yea, I have some sealant but I didn\'t bother to use it so I can change their environment whenever I wanted to.

The tank that posted here is only a simple 10 gallon, but I think I will use one of my empty 20 gallons soon.

The basking area is a piece of white rock, found at any fish store for a few bucks.. looks nice and it a great surface area for when your turtles grow larger.

I use a larger piece of slate for my 7 inch turtle ever since he was about 3 inches and he still fits nicely on it with room to spare. Thats in my 50 gallon tank.

This tank is almost done, I\'ll post some pics very soon.
  • Information