My turtle is gasping... Help!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
daboots
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody.

I\'ve had my two RES turtles, Ross and Rachel, for three months now. Up until now they have been very healthy and happy.

Suddenly, one week ago, Rachel started to have breathing problems. She opens her mouth wide and gasps for air. This isn\'t constant, but about every ten minutes or so she starts doing it and has to breathe like this several times before she is okay.

This evening is the first time she hasn\'t been interested in eating.

I think this is a cold, but I am worried and need your help. Is there anything I can do by myself. Where I live (South Korea), I don\'t think there are any veterinarians who deal with turtles, so I hope that somebody has some good advice for me.

Also, is it safe to keep Ross and Rachel together, or could Ross develop this problem too? (He hasn\'t so far...)

By the way, we have already tried raising the temperature of the tank...

Thanks for your help,

Daniel
jbird507
Level 3
Level 3

i think i can help
jbird507
Level 3
Level 3

i could find some web sites for you to help because i have seen very many good answers. how big are your two turtles and what kinds are they?
jbird507
Level 3
Level 3

jbird507 wrote:
i could find some web sites for you to help because i have seen very many good answers. how big are your two turtles and what kinds are they?
brb goin 2 find some websites for u!
jbird507
Level 3
Level 3

I know one thing for sure is thaat vetrinarians do take care of turtles
jbird507
Level 3
Level 3

well first you have to know what kind of turtles they are and how big they are compared to each other \\\\ if one is much larger than the other and their in the same tank, well i think you have a problem. You should keep them in seperate tanks. Maybe one time when you feed them they might have gotten into a fight and hurt one another,. and that might be how he got hurt. You should take him to a vet just to make sure he\'ll be safe. cause turtles different species and different sizes well ometimes dont seem to get along
jbird507
Level 3
Level 3

jbird507 wrote:
well first you have to know what kind of turtles they are and how big they are compared to each other \\\\ if one is much larger than the other and their in the same tank, well i think you have a problem. You should keep them in seperate tanks. Maybe one time when you feed them they might have gotten into a fight and hurt one another,. and that might be how he got hurt. You should take him to a vet just to make sure he\'ll be safe. cause turtles different species and different sizes well ometimes dont seem to get along
i can helpyou whenever your ready
daboots
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jillian,

Thanks for replying so quickly. Sorry I didn\'t answer right away. I went out to buy some new food for the turtles and forgot to log out!

Actually, I\'m happy to say that Rachel is acting a little better now. She\'s eating at least, which is a good sign.

I\'m still worried about her breathing, though, so any websites you\'ve found that could help, I would really appreciate.

As for my turtles, they are both Red Ear Sliders, and they are about the same size. Rachel\'s a girl, and Ross is a boy. They always eat about the same amount of food so that\'s not the problem (actually Rachel\'s a little bigger than Ross, and she\'s the one with a cold!)

Thanks,

Daniel
daboots
Level 1
Level 1

Oh, and as for size, both Ross and Rachel are about two inches long. They\'re still little guys... but growing lots.
jbird507
Level 3
Level 3

actually i haven\'t found any web sites but did you ask the pet store manager when you went to buy the turtle food? I bet he/she could help out a whole lot!
daboots
Level 1
Level 1

Hi jbird,

Thanks for the advice. Actually, I just bought turtle food at the supermarket. It\'s the same place that I bought the turtles, but no-one there knows a thing about turtles!

I live in Korea, and nobody really seems to be very enlightened on the subject of turtle care, vets included. Everybody knows about dogs, the pet of choice, but that\'s about all.

Thanks,

Daniel
  • Information