URGENT Skin Problem

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

My turtle Lulla Belle seems to be having some real problems. About 2 months ago I posted because she had a discoloration on her neck. After investigating, I determined that it was a cut, and I treated it as such. I cleaned and disinfected the cut, and she had been fine. It looked like everything was healing, and all the while, Lulla was acting normal.

A few days ago I noticed that Lulla had been acting a bit sluggish. She didn\'t react as quickly to food or attention, and she would close her eyes and take a while trying to open them. They eyes don\'t look swollen, and there doesn\'t appear to be any discharge or problems with her face.

However, I took her out of the tank to inspect her, and when she stuck her head out, I saw that the wound on her neck was looking really bad. It looks like her neck has a giant open wound. The wound is pink and bumpy, almost looking like what a brain would look like.

I have pictures, but I don\'t know how to post them. If anyone could tell me how to post them, or if you\'d like me to email you a picture, please let me know.

You can respond here, or Email me or IM me. My email is [email protected], and my AIM is HeroicDiva.

Please help!!
Jessica
o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

i forgot how to post pics but the place you put your pics e.g photobucket should have a link you can put that up or wait for someone to tell you how to do it:) sorry i dont know much about your turtle but i think you should be takin her to a vet
deesygirl

Sounds like a problem I had with Jasper. The neighbors cat got into my outside pond enclosure and took a large chunk out of the back of his neck. I took him in to the only vet in town that deals with \"exotics\" :) and the vet wanted to put him down. (Freezer method :( ) I could not bear to part with my favorite pal so I decided I would try and save him myself. Anyway this is what I did.

Remove your turtle from the tank and keep her dry tanked for at least a week. Two or three times a day you need to soak Lulla in clean warm water for hydration. You can feed her after she soaks. Then clean the area with a weak solution of betadine and sterile water. I use gauze pads and left them on the area for 2-3 minutes. Then rinse with clear sterile water. Dry off the area with more gauze pads and put some antibiotic ointment on the area. Only use the ointment for the first 3 days. After the 3 days is up, use plain petrolum jelly. Using the ointment for too long prevents healing. After the first week I dry tanked every other day. On the wet tank days I used my spare tank with no substrate or decorative items and changed the water every time I went to put him in. I did that for the next week. It still did not look fantastic but it was healing. So I just made sure his tank was super clean for a while. It actually took almost 4 months to heal completely, but now you can hardly tell. It looks beautiful.
Hope this helps.

And by the way \"Welcome to the forum\". :)
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

Thank you for the advice. I don\'t have Betadine solution...would hydrogen peroxide work? Thats what I use to clean my cuts.

I have uploaded pictures of Lulla to my webspace...let me know if these links don\'t work.

http://users.hanson.net/HeroicDiva/Lulla3.jpg
http://users.hanson.net/HeroicDiva/Lulla2.jpg
http://users.hanson.net/HeroicDiva/Lulla1.jpg
o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

betadine solution is just weak betadine (mixed with water) you can get from a chemist without a script the other stuff might be to acidic but i dont know but it looks bad hope she gets better keep us up dated
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

u can buy a bottle of betadine at ur vet..it\'s not too expensive.i don\'t know about peroxide,but i would not take any chance...u should follow Dessygirl advices asap,before it get worse...hope to ear good news soon!keep us post..
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

those pix relate a lot to the description..i could picture it even without the pix..anyways u got an answer now..u can also use the same method u did before..and the most important thing,,look for the reason..what\'s causing this to happen twice? anything in the tank that might do it? what do u have in there with the little girl?
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Check the edge of her shell, might be a bit sharp, just enough to cut her skin, might try a nail file to smooth out, just make sure the edge gets washed out good.
HeroicDiva
Level 2
Level 2

Thank you so much for your advice everyone. I am treating the wound and I will probably have to take her to the vet soon.

The only thought I had about what could cause it is I had a problem with my heat lamp and one of the bulbs broke. I have a screen over the tank, and I cleaned the tank out right after the bulb broke, but I suppose its possible a piece of glass got in there and caused the initial cut.

Lulla also has a sister in the tank, but I\'ve never seen her hurt her in any way. They are never aggressive towards eachother, and I\'ve never seen them bite each other. Penny does sit on Lullas back to sun sometimes, so I suppose its possible that she cut her with her claws.

Lulla seems to be acting much better today...less sluggish and more observant and responsive.

Please let me know if you have any other advice!

Jessica
o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

i think the vet will be a good idea before you even show him/her the turtle sya \"i dont want to put her down\" then show her to him/her they may be happy to give her a shot of antibiotics and then give you the needle and stuff to take home
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Keep the water clean so it doesn\'t get infected (or worse if it already is). And if she doesn\'t respond to treatment, take her to a herp vet.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

maybe a piece of glass got in there..i hope she\'ll be fine soon..she\'s got a nice name btw:)
  • Information