Lighting needs?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

What kind of lighting do I need. I was using just a regular lightbulb, but then I got a Exo Terra Sun Glow Neodymium Daylight Lamp that is 60 watts. I was just wondering if I needed to get anything else.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

heat bulb for basking,,UVA and UVB to get needed vitamins which they don\'t get from the sun when they live indoors..i don\'t know about lights but i\'m sure someone here will help
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

From this website: http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 4764184010

Sounds pretty good, it gives out UVA rays
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

I\'ve got one like that, but it\'s in a regular lightbulb shape. I have the tank in front of the window in my room, so I open up the blinds. Some light falls in the tank, so they get some natural light.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

how much is that sun? like direct sun for one hour? i read somewhere here that it does..if u live in a sunny area then natural sunlights is better of course
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

I\'m not sure. The sun sets behind my house, and my room is in the front, so I guess they get sun mostly in the morning. I\'m not sure how much though.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i think they get what they need from the sun in that way..am not sure but mine get direct sunlight for like 3-4 hours daily and i read it\'s enough for them
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I\'ve posted about this before (and can\'t believe I\'m doing it again). There is a big difference between DIRECT sunlight and UNFILTERED sunlight. Direct sunlight through a window doesn\'t benefit a turtle other than give him light and some warmth. The UVB rays that are produced by the sun are filtered out by the window glass (and any other barrier). Unfiltered sunlight, which a turtle would get if he were outside (like in summer), is a great way for him to get UVB rays, which with the correct diet, would help him have a hard, healthy shell.

If you don\'t live in a climate that allows your turtle to be outside at his time of year, you also need to get him a UVB light. Regular UVB lights are flourescent and don\'t give off heat, so you need to use a heat lamp in addition to it. A brand like Reptisun is a good one to look for when getting a UVB light; there are others, though--just be sure it says on the package that the light gives off UVB rays. \"Full Spectrum\" is not enough.

A turtle that only gets direct light through a window (and no UVB rays to put vit D3 in his diet) is most likely going to develop metabolic bone disease.
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

Ok. Thanks!
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

reptileman wrote:
leave bandgeek alone!!!!
Thank you!!
deesygirl

I have edited this thread to remove the slander.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

isn\'t it time to get rid of him yet??
Bandgeek2709
Level 3
Level 3

dixieee wrote:
isn\'t it time to get rid of him yet??
Yes, please! He is sooo rude. I don\'t get it.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

well, if he continues to be rude, I\'ll be rude tenfold to him!
  • Information