When to breed?

Here you can direct all your questions about turtle breeding and what to do about those eggs you found that your turtle laid.
New_Mom15
Level 2
Level 2

I just got a female RES and she\'s about 4 inches. How long should I wait to get her a boyfriend? I want to become a breeder. Will I know when she is ready?
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

to be a breeder, you\'ll have to research long and hard before trying it yourself.
deesygirl

Turtles are great pets but they do require commitment. Finding 40 (give or take) people willing to care for them properly for the next 15-20 years is difficult.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

This is a quote from another post of mine:
\" wouldn\'t recomend breeding your turtle because you think he has an urge to do so. It is difficult to raise all teh ababies and then find homes for them. Esspecially if you have a RES. Every year hundreds or thousands of RES hatchlings die because they are so resily available and there\'s just not enough homes for them. Often they are neglected and not taken care of properly. If you really want to breed turtles I would suggest that you really look into it... maybe buying a species of turtle that is kind of rare, do a lot of research and breed those, plus instead of getting the $3 a piece with RES, get up to $200 per hatchling!!
  • Information