two diff. types mating?

Discussions about turtles.
esiotrot

i have a red ear slider (about 1yr old-boy) and a maps (only a couple of months-to young to tell). the slider is doing the mating rituals already (4 yrs to soon!) i think he is confused. will he hurt the little one? can they mate? any info will help. thanks
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

maybe you should seperate them.
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

I think I read somewhere that you should avoid cross-species breeding? That might disrupt the natural \"gene pool\".
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

captain turtle, I checked out www.something.com and I was shocked! :D
Last edited by reptileman on Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esiotrot

Captain_Turtle wrote:
I think I read somewhere that you should avoid cross-species breeding? That might disrupt the natural \"gene pool\".
is it possible? i do not want them to. mating should not start until around five years of age, they are too young (1yr.) should i worry already?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i don\'t know if they actually think of mating at that age..animals in general are smart and they have an instinct to such things..they don\'t depend that someone would seperate them because what if they lived in nature? and since it is ok for those turtles of different species to live together then is must have happened before (the mating thing)
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

wow now guys isn`t cross breeding not natural???i mean it might cause bad mutation due to genetic forms..
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Why would it be bad, isn\'t that how we got all the other kinds of turtles, if not where did they come from?, Humans do it all the time, that is where the word \"interracial\" comes from, it means mating with another race, I\'m sure they\'ll figure out if the pieces don\'t fit:D.

P.S. Mutations usually happen when you mate a brother and a sister or mother or aunt and so on. Means that mutations happen when the mating pair are related.
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

ah yes i see now stray....now u said something about cross breeding that got the other kinds of species??give me an example of the sort of turtles that are cross breed.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

There are turtles, that are interbred between species, just as a Stinkpot and Razorback Musk Cross. These are called Hybrids, or a better word for them, Mongrels. It is not suggested by anyone that it is a good thing to interbreed, either between subspecies or totally differant species of turtle. If you would sell Hybrid hatchlings, (which is a BIG if, because most of the hatchlings will be deformed or be dead.) what do you think people would more readily buy, Nice string purebred turtles or deformed, weak, ugly Mongrels?

Humans and Turtles are 100% differant. We humans have no other subspecies, every human being no matter what race are Homo Sapiens. It is differant with turtles, because there are many many differant subspecies even in a single species, (Example: PAINTED TURTLES: Southern, Eastern, Western and Midland. All are painted turtles, but yet they have very differant genes.)

Anyways, finally, back to the question...
Your turtles are still too young to breed. they are okay for a while, but if you male starts to pester your female (claw at her, constantly chase her around the tank) then I would suggest you seperate them. Untill then they\'re fine together. :D
Willie
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

ok,the way u said it it sound like is not good idea to interbreed them but is in it the same kind of deal with dog??i\'m agree u cannot breed to kind of dog who are real different(like german sheppard and bichon frisee)but what about all the other mix breed,who are real similar...(like pitbull;it\'s a mix of a bunch of similar breed)and it give awesome dog...i\'m agree u can\'t mix a aligator snapper with a cooter but what about a cooter with a res??or a painted with a res??they are real similar in pretty much everything...
what do u thing about it?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

nice to see u around yaya:)

well he\'s a doc!! lol
i see what u guys mean but sliders and cooters are very similar and i\'m sure it happened somewhere between them..why don\'t babies come out either this or either that? should they be mixed? who guaratnees
wowturtleswow
Level 1
Level 1

dixieee wrote:
i don\'t know if they actually think of mating at that age..animals in general are smart and they have an instinct to such things..they don\'t depend that someone would seperate them because what if they lived in nature? and since it is ok for those turtles of different species to live together then is must have happened before (the mating thing)
i think one of my turtles had some eggs one of the hatched but when my sister was cleaning the rocks she thought the shell was a rock cause it was the size of a dime but is going to the bathroom constantly a side affect of turtle birth because if it is i have to know
  • Information