soft shell

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
HaxeOrdinary
Level 2
Level 2

My littlest one is real sluggish this morning. When I picked him up, I realized the back of his shell is soft. What can I do if he refuses to eat? Should I take him out of the water?
(This is the one who likes to hang out in the bottom of the tank)
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

is he eating, swimming, basking normally? check this: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/m ... ft%20Shell

it includes treatment
HaxeOrdinary
Level 2
Level 2

Thank you so much. The site calmed my nerves a bit. As for the swimming, basking... he\'s not like my other two but I don\'t know if he\'s like a normal turtle. He prefers to walk instead of swim and only likes to bask when I\'m not around.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ur most welcome:)

is the water deep enough for swimming? if it is shallow then maybe he\'s too lazy to swim if he could walk..turtles learn how to swim by themselves but they don\'t come to life knowing how to..if he\'s basking and swimming then it\'s ok..maybe nothing much to worry about
HaxeOrdinary
Level 2
Level 2

the water\'s deep enough for swimming. I think it\'s just that he\'s still really young and trying to find his way. Would he benefit from me trying to feed him in a separate container? How long should I leave him in the container? I don\'t think he likes me, should I leave the room?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

if u keep leaving the room he\'ll never get used to u..try handling him and taking him out for a small walk in the room for example..u will notice that he wants to play with u then and he\'ll get used to u..that\'s what i did with my turtles and it worked..i hand-feed them now and they get mad if i just throw food into the water..they like to pick it up from my fingers:)

for the seperate container thing i don\'t know it depends..if the other two are eating his food then ok u might try it..watch him and u\'ll know more about his personality then u could tell how to treat him
HaxeOrdinary
Level 2
Level 2

Thank you. You\'ve been a lot of help. The others do eat his food so I\'ll try some of the techniques I\'ve read about on this page.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ur welcome:) take care of the little guy
  • Information