Do turtles have ears?

Discussions about turtles.
New_Mom15
Level 2
Level 2

I have a RES (Red-Eared Slider) and I just wanted to know, do they have ears, or do they feel vibrations or what. I just got him so I am not sure.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

yes, they have inner ears. take a look at what I found:

Turtles don\'t have any \"outer ear,\" the part that sticks out from your head, but they have all the same \"inner ear\" mechanisms that other animals do. The outer ear gathers sound vibrations to make them louder. So turtles do not hear sounds as loudly as you do, but they can sense and interpret vibrations in the environment. Hearing isn\'t very important to turtle though, because their senses of vision and smell are excellent.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

They go mainly by feel, they feel the vibration rather than hear sound, that is why you can sneak up on them, but as soon as they see you *zip* they are gone:D:D
New_Mom15
Level 2
Level 2

Ok, I just wanted to make sure because I have two little brothers who are four and they just love to go and yell, \"HI TURTLE!!\" all the time.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

LOL let them greet him as much as they want:) actually they\'re helping u in socializing the turtle..

thanx reptileman i never knew about the inner ear thing..do i love my turtles more now???
  • Information