question... multiple res

Discussions about turtles.
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

Like i bet uve seen im planning to get an RES... and was wondering do they do good in pairs? I really wanted 3 to name Mikimoto, Fukushima, n Nagasakie, but don\'t know when ill have money to get like 100gallon tank to house em all full grown, so i waS planning on 1 but didnt want him/her to be lonely and not socialized

Im planning on getting hatchlings and was gonna start with a 30gallon (or maybe ill get into sum money and get like a 55 or 75gallon, duno) its kinda big to me but dont know if it would be to house 2RES\'s

SOme advice
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I read somewhere that the ratio for a tank to house them is 10 gallon for every inch of turtle, they generally grow about 16 inches (don\'t quote), so that would be what, 160 gallon tank?, and that is for one, so unless you are planning on a pond, I would stick with one, possibly two.:D:D
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

where did this 10gallon per inch come from?

Jus curious, cuz i know of people who have pretty big sliders like 10inchs give or take and inch... and their not in a 100gallon tank... and they look happy and are well taken care of and loved.

Them freakin aquarium tanks cost a arm n a leg especially with stand because u sure as heck dont want the thing sitting on the floor. y must i b cursed with the gene to luv animals...LOLOL
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i wish i had 3 turtles..actually i did but only 2 at a time and i like having 3..

anyways i\'m so glad that some people still wanna take really good care of their turtles cz most newbies are ignorant and begin learning after they get the turtles (it\'s ok everybody i did the same lol)

ok so the 10 inch is a very common \"law\" but many people don\'t follow it..i mean a bit more or a bit less is not a big deal..if u can get the 75 gallon then go for it..it will serve for a good period of time even when ur hatchlings grow:) if u search u can find good stuff..i found a HUGE aquarium..i don\'t know how many gallons but i can fit inside and it\'s for $245..i don\'t know if this is normal but i don\'t find it that expensive and i was going to get it IF i had the space cz our flat is not that big..but that aquarium is so cool it has an LCD display for the temps in C & F and it keeps switching between them!! i fell in love with it lol

good luck
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

bxslilprincess wrote:
where did this 10gallon per inch come from?

Jus curious, cuz i know of people who have pretty big sliders like 10inchs give or take and inch... and their not in a 100gallon tank... and they look happy and are well taken care of and loved.

Them freakin aquarium tanks cost a arm n a leg especially with stand because u sure as heck dont want the thing sitting on the floor. y must i b cursed with the gene to luv animals...LOLOL
I have read that rule on this board in alot of places, there are also some references in the net, here is an example, doesn\'t mention the rule but it says 20 gallon tank is the minimum:
From this url: http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/reptiles ... care_2.htm
Setting up a Tank for Red Eared Slider Turtles
The Tank
Red eared slider turtles are semi-aquatic and spend a significant amount of time basking, so need a tank that provides both water for swimming and an area where they can get out of the water for basking. A 20 gallon tank is considered a minimum, though larger turtles will need a larger tank to provide ample swimming room (see below) so even if you have a smaller turtle you might want to invest in a larger tank to allow room to grow. You do not need to use an aquarium though - large plastic containers or storage tubs are fine as long as you don\'t mind not being able to view the turtles from the side. As long as the tank is tall enough and the basking area is positioned so that the turtles can\'t climb out you won\'t need a lid.

I hope it answers some of your questions:D
also visit the site for more info.
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks just wanted sum help... im 16 i luv animals... im new 2 this turtle business though, had 2 when i was like 5 from a vendor in the street but i didnt know what i was doing neither did my mother so we gave em away and can u believe they survived n are HUGE... and just want them to be happy and healthy... and want to have everything ready for when they come.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

You are welcome, keep in mind that turtles get to be pretty old, I read somewhere that they get as old as 70, galapagos tortoise go over 100 (where would you keep one:D, kinda like keeping a volkwagen beetle for a pet:D:D), enjoy your turtles, if taken good care of they will grow old with you:D
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

I always tend to go 4 animals that live awhile...

i have doggie that i just got last year
Albino Leopard gecko that can live to lik 25yrs or so
Birds that can live up 2 40yrs.
and fish that we\'ve kept for lik the past 10years and out of around 15 only 3have died in that time.

ill get em now so they can last the rest of my life :) i dont lik nething that lives lik 1-2years then dies thats NO fun :(
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

That\'s great, your turtles are in good hands then:D
tubbieturtles
Level 2
Level 2

technically..they can live forevr..they dont age so thats why they live so long. i dont know how accuarte that is..i think i sw it on animal planet lol. ive got 2 res and i think they are happy to have each other. they enteract alot and if one is taken out of the tank b4 the other, the othr will swim around frantically!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I think they go by how old the oldest one they know about is, there is no telling how old the oldest one will still live, or if the next one will live longer than the last, I think I\'m starting to confuse myself so I\'ll stop:D:D
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

Lolol... well all we know is that wit proper care, and sum TLC them lil things can last a VERY LONG time. feww weeks ago i was watching a show and they showed this HUGE turtle that was turning 92 the oldest in captivity I THINK not sure...
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

QUICK FACTS ABOUT GALAPAGOS TORTOISE

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Reptilia
Order: Testudines
Family: Testudinidae
Genus: Geochelone
Species: elephantopus

Weight: 500 lbs
Gestation: 120 - 240 days
Offspring: 2 - 16
Life Span: 200 years
Top Speed (Ground): 0.16 mph

From this website:http://www.thebigzoo.com/Animals/Galapa ... rtoise.asp
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

WHOA!!! 500lbs... 200Years n i thought RES\'s lived way long
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ur doing fine..if u were able to keep fish that long then u can absolutely keep turtles:)
BXsLilPrinCesS
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for the encouragement... now to set up a nice functional habitat
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Keep up the good work:D
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

Well don`t have much to add...just passing by...just want u to know bxslilprincess that i`m happy ur taking good care of the turtles...keep it up...thfamily members of this board is with u all the way...
  • Information