Can Gravel hurt a turtle\'s shell?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
New_Mom15
Level 2
Level 2

Is there a specific kind of gravel or some type of rocks that I can get for my turtle? Does it even matter?
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

Gravel is not a good idea. The turtles like to eat it and it can cause intestinal blockages.
New_Mom15
Level 2
Level 2

OK, thanks. Now I know not to buy more gravel.
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

I use large smooth river rocks in my tank and scattered some large shells and smaller (but too big to eat)rocks at the bottom for them to dig around in. They love to rearrange the tank.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I use the colorful gravel they sell at walmart, but I have a whole bunch of river rocks that cover just about all of the colored ones, the river rocks are way too big for them to swallow them, I do need to get more of them to cover the other areas I missed.:D
Tuesday
Level 1
Level 1

I just have green, blue and red little gravel. I don\'t want my turtles to eat them, is there something that i can do to prevent them from eating the gravel?
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

My turtles will try to eat anything they can fit into their mouths. They still try to take bites out of the river rock. I don\'t know of any way to stop them other than to not have it in the tank.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

turtles tend to eat anything smaller than their head size..if ur gravel is smaller then take it out so they don\'t eat it
tubbieturtles
Level 2
Level 2

i use to have gravel but it seemed like it was making the tank even more dirty...it was like the gravel was never completely clean plus, it was getting in the filter..i took it out and the water is so much cleaner and cleaning the tank is easier. they seem just as happy, they still have plenty to play with
stunt pogoer
Level 3
Level 3

buy sand. they have it at the stores it says digestible on the front, which means your animal can eat it without getting sick, and it ahs calcium, so if it does eat it, its actually good for them. i have it in with my softy, because they need sand to bury in
tubbieturtles
Level 2
Level 2

does the sand make the tank hard to clean?
o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

do you mean sand in the water i would think you could never get the sand clean or do you just throw it out
stunt pogoer
Level 3
Level 3

o0hamburger0o wrote:
do you mean sand in the water i would think you could never get the sand clean or do you just throw it out
what i use is a turkey baster. its one of those things that sucks the juice so u can put it on top of the turkey. take one of those and suck all the stuff thats at the bottom and put it into a cup or something ang throw it out. it stays pretty clean for me... i just used regular sand for like snakes and stuff that u buy at the store, it sinks right to the bottom but the water might be cloudy for a hour but the filters will clean it out.

good luck
p.s. make sure to get the stuff that is digestible, because if they eat it the sand can clog up in their body
  • Information