Shell holes/soft spots

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
New_Mom15
Level 2
Level 2

Ok, I just my turtle on Christmas Eve, and when I got him I noticed that he had what seemed to be an area that might chip off. Then I noticed that there was a spot above it and when I pressed it, my turtle jerked as though it hurt it. And now it looks like it might be turning into a hole. My mother said that the gravel might be hurting it\'s shell too. He loves being in the water, and he likes to bask, I think he spends too much time in the water though because his shell feeels like it might be going soft. SHould I keep him out of the water and give him the medicine he needs? Well duh I know but what exactly can I give him and where can I get it for a good price?
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

The soft shell is from lack of calcium and vitamin D. This can be remedied with a UVB light for vitamin D and using a calcium suppliment on the turtles food. This is a very painful disease, but it can be reversed. If it is in a later stage of metabolic bone disease, veteranary treatment may be required. Do some research. The turtle may also have shell rot if it is developing holes. This is something else to research to help your turtle. Good luck with your new turtle.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

stoshie i don\'t think it is a soft shell cz she mentioned it\'s just an area..it\'s either shedding or shell rot
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Stoshie meant that the shell is soft (not hard) he wasn\'t referring to a softshell turtle(quite different):D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i know but i don\'t think that is the case of having a softshell disease
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Oh, my bad:D
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

She also mentions in the original post that the shell feels like it is going soft.
Last edited by Stoshie on Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information