Baby Sliders

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Tuesday
Level 1
Level 1

My turtles were givin to me as a christmas gift, they are about 1 and 1/2 inches big. I want to keep them, but i need all the info on how to care for turtles this small....Please help

P.S
They won\'t eat the Reptomin pellets :/
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Try some bloodworms, they sell them in a can at Walmart, my turtles love them, go to the following page for more feeding info, by the way, turtles need to be in water in order to eat:

http://www.turtlecare.net/food.htm
Tuesday
Level 1
Level 1

I tried to feed them tiny pieces of turkey, i can\'t tell if they are not hungry or if they just don\'t want the food i\'m giving them.

Next time i go to Walmart i\'ll pick some up, thanks.
o0hamburger0o
Level 3
Level 3

they may not eat because of the hange of environment to
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Yeah, o0hamburger0o\'s right, it might take them up to a week or more to get used to their new environment. Be patient, they\'ll come around.
Stoshie
Level 3
Level 3

I didn\'t actually see one of mine eat for at least a month after I got them. I was so worried. She didn\'t bask either. Turns out that she is just shy.
Tuesday
Level 1
Level 1

Ooh thanks guys :)

Another Question..If they don\'t eat their pellets, should i take them out so the water doesn\'t get dirty??
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

Tuesday wrote:
Ooh thanks guys :)

Another Question..If they don\'t eat their pellets, should i take them out so the water doesn\'t get dirty??
best thing to do for eating: take your turtles out (since you have 2 and they\'re still little ..) i would put each in a seperate tupperware container. that way no one is stealing any one else\'s food! any sort of small container works. put just a tiny bit of water in the containers (about 1/2 an inch) and put your turtles in them. i drop the sticks in after they are in the containers because the sticks tend to move around in the water with the turtles movement and they could be tricked into thinking it is a worm. my vet told me that turtles get excited when they see food moving (crickets, feeder fish, etc.) and they want to explore it. this might get your turtles \"pumped up\" to eat. (haha!) since they are not eating right now, try putting several sticks into the water with them. make sure you keep track of how many you put in so that you know if they ate one or not (my vet did this for my turtle). once they start eating, make sure you don\'t put a ton of sticks in their water! they will eat them up and it is not good to overfeed them. my hatchling eats 2 sticks in the morning and that\'s it. any more feeding would be too much. (just to give you an idea of how much is enough once they start eating).

and if you\'re having a problem with keeping the water clean after feeding, i\'m assuming you don\'t have a filter. walmart has them for $10 and they are EXTREMELY helpful in keeping the water clean.

when i first got my turtle i cleaned his water every other day. it was awfully time consuming and with the way i have to study, it was a waste of time. just a helpful hint to save you time.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

that\'s normal that they won\'t eat..just keep some food in the water in case they changed their mind anytime..give them some time and they\'ll be very friendly don\'t worry:)
  • Information