Keeping tank clean tips

Discussions about turtles.
Diane
Level 1
Level 1

I read in one of the messages about an additive that helps break down biological waste so that the entire tank water does not have to be cleaned as often. What is this product called?

And will it hurt the other animals (tetras, cory cats, shrimp) living in the tank with my turtle?
rammie

I use a product called turtle clean made by biocare. I buy it at Petco and it seems to work quite well. The bottle says nothing about using it with fish--so I don't know about that.
OracleX
Level 2
Level 2

Here is something that I tried that worked really good. Rather than use gravel use stones. Go down to your local quarry and get a couple of buckets (depending on the size of your tank) and use them instead. The rocks should be around 1" to 1.5" round and have 2 layers of them in the bottom of your tank.

What I saw when I did this was the water color stayed clear and there wasn't any waste being stirred up. I was able to double the time inbetween cleans using rocks. What happens is that the waste would go down under the rocks and lay on the bottom of the tank. The two layers of rocks keeps them from being stirred up.

WARNING: The reason I don't use this any more is that my turtles are too big. They were able to move stones around and thus risk breaking the tank. Also to if you use this method, make sure your heater has a plastic cover and is not on or near the rocks. If it is and they start moving the rocks they will break your heater.
OracleX
Level 2
Level 2

Here is something that I tried that worked really good. Rather than use gravel use stones. Go down to your local quarry and get a couple of buckets (depending on the size of your tank) and use them instead. The rocks should be around 1" to 1.5" round and have 2 layers of them in the bottom of your tank.

What I saw when I did this was the water color stayed clear and there wasn't any waste being stirred up. I was able to double the time inbetween cleans using rocks. What happens is that the waste would go down under the rocks and lay on the bottom of the tank. The two layers of rocks keeps them from being stirred up.

WARNING: The reason I don't use this any more is that my turtles are too big. They were able to move stones around and thus risk breaking the tank. Also to if you use this method, make sure your heater has a plastic cover and is not on or near the rocks. If it is and they start moving the rocks they will break your heater.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

I have river bed stones in the bottom of mine. Along with the use of the break down it does reduce the "mess" from being stirred up.

WARNING: LOL when you take the stones out of the bottom~~~~~you are in for a treat.
  • Information