Hibrenate Question

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
GGLuis
Level 2
Level 2

I have two red eared turtles and I was wondering if they need to hibrenate? I have a big rock in the tank and the both seem to want to dig and get under it. Does this mean they need to hibrenate? How can I help them hibrenate. Can they hibrenate underwater? Thanks for your help.
Louis.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

In the wild turtles burrow in the mud under the water to hibernate in temps that are cooler than they would be in a tank indoors. What\'s the water temp in your tank (should be 76-78F). If the water temp is too cool they\'ll become inactive and won\'t be able to eat, but they won\'t truly hibernate (this would not be good). Your turtles don\'t sound like they\'re trying to hibernate; perhaps there\'s a bit of food or poop under the rock that they smell and are trying to get to.

There\'s no need for your turtles to hibernate and if you don\'t know what you\'re doing, you shouldn\'t try to hibernate them. Make sure their temps are OK (basking area 85-90F and the water as above).
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

my guy does that all the time. he\'s still a baby and is extremely adventurous, so that could have something to do with it. but he\'s scared me so bad before i had to dig through the rocks i have in the tank just to make sure he was there! eventually he makes his way out and finds something else interesting to do. hiding behind the filter is his favorite.
  • Information