New to the Turtle World.

Discussions about turtles.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Kingfisher,
I know your just trying to hel;p others out, but where are you getting all these pictures from? You know they do belong to somebody and they may be under copywrite. If I were you i would ask permission before I would take pictures. If it happens that some of the pictures are under copywrite this site could be in trouble. Thanks,
Willie
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

mata-mata\'s don\'t all look like that do they? they\'re so scary looking!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Willie wrote:
Kingfisher,
I know your just trying to hel;p others out, but where are you getting all these pictures from? You know they do belong to somebody and they may be under copywrite. If I were you i would ask permission before I would take pictures. If it happens that some of the pictures are under copywrite this site could be in trouble. Thanks,
Willie
I usually look for that warning, if I don\'t find it I copy the picture along with the url to that site, I have never claimed the pictures to be mine, I give credit where credit is due, that is pretty much what the warning says, you cannot call it your own because of the copywright.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

stray always refers to the original site..he always mentions it when copying pix or any other info
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

I did miss this last one, I\'ll fix it.
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

thanks for the pictures stray....ur nice....umm those pastl ones look really cool how much do they range....are they rare breeds?
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

ok everyone heres one u can give ur opinion on....Jade,Diamond and Cliff Hanger live in a plastic tank the one we use for carrying arou...cheap one....i put 3 pieces of drift wood found near mthe beach...they are set leaning against the sides of the tank for the turtles to rest on...now there is just the wood and water not sure how high...probably about 11 cm high....so now i`m wondering if my RESs can live like that or should i change the environtment....thats all i`m asking for now....hope to hear from u all bro`s and sis`s....see ya
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

is it big enough for the three of them?
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

for a 2 month old sure is.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

if it contains everything they need (basking area, lights,..) then it\'s ok
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Your setup is good to start out until you can get the basic setup, mine is a 10 gallon setup and according to some articles I have read, 20 gallons is pretty much the basic setup, I\'ll post it once I find it again, I myself will have to upgrade soon, I actually want to build them a nice big setup, I haven\'t decided on a plan for the setup yet, I\'m still looking.:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

wait for my new setup..it\'ll be amazing lol..i found all the accessories and did a plan (architecture and interior design are done:p) just waiting to move to a bigger home to get it:(
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

godlinked86 wrote:
ok everyone heres one u can give ur opinion on....Jade,Diamond and Cliff Hanger live in a plastic tank the one we use for carrying arou...cheap one....i put 3 pieces of drift wood found near mthe beach...they are set leaning against the sides of the tank for the turtles to rest on...now there is just the wood and water not sure how high...probably about 11 cm high....so now i`m wondering if my RESs can live like that or should i change the environtment....thats all i`m asking for now....hope to hear from u all bro`s and sis`s....see ya
11 cm isn\'t enough water .. i\'d put more in there. also, i highly doubt the plastic tank you have is big enough. you should AT THE EXTREME LEAST a 10 gallon tank for 3 of them. if you can\'t afford that, buy a huge rubbermaid container for the time being.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

11 cm is about 4.5 inches..maybe good for depth especially that the turtles are babies
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

godlinked86 wrote:
thanks for the pictures stray....ur nice....umm those pastl ones look really cool how much do they range....are they rare breeds?
I don\'t know about price range, one site that I visited said price depended on color,
I found this site \"The World\'s Local Classifieds\" : http://www.hoobly.com/ads/184/2538/0/

I hope that helps you out:D
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

thaks everyone for ur opinion i`ll try to improve on the turtles home...their reaching three months now....and one has grown bigger then the other two....i have saparated the 2 from the other cuz i`ve got a feeling that the bigger one is getting the food and the other two are being pushed away....the big one is still in the drift wood tank....the other 2 are in a container about 12 cm long 10 cm high......with small pebbles and a shell as a basking pad....waittting for the 2 to grow a little bigger....
Last edited by godlinked86 on Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

so whats been going on are there any new turtle keepers got some stuff to talk about or maybe something to share
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

seems that the one that grew faster is the female..if they aren\'t fighting why did u seperate them? u can seperate only during feeding time but i wouldn\'t keep them always seperated if they get along..she would feel lonely
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

oh yeah ow i remember females grow faster then males right? ok but i already put them back together..
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yes females do grow faster..that\'s a way in telling the gender at an early age too i don\'t know why people find it too difficult???
anyways great they\'re back:) how are they doing together?
evilnissan
Level 2
Level 2

Ok. quick question?

whats the difference between a UVB bulb and a UVA bulb. I went to pet smart in search of UVB bulbs and they only had UVA.
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

dixieee wrote:
yes females do grow faster..that\'s a way in telling the gender at an early age too i don\'t know why people find it too difficult???
anyways great they\'re back:) how are they doing together?
well since their back together,their bumping into each other like they always do....seems that thngs are normal....
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

UVA and UVB each provides a different type of vitamin,,that\'s what i know but am not sure if it\'s the same for turtles..they need both anyways and some bulbs give out both together (like 2 in 1)..

godlinked86 as long as they don\'t hurt each other then that\'s great they\'re just playing:)
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

oh i know ....their playing...
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

oh yeah if i have three turtles i don`t necessary need to put anything in the tank to entertain them right???i mean they already got each other.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

well maybe but i still prefer hiding places and rocks..they like playing with toys too not only friends
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

what sort of toys can i get them sis
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

if the rocks were light then they might enjoy moving them around..someone also suggested a ping-pong ball..it floats and curiousity kills them:)
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

hmmm so basically anything that floats right?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yep..and tell me if u got any ideas
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

well i`ve tried one of my old fishing rubber baits they seem fine about it....

Gota major PROBLEM......i am currently taking care of my cousin`s turtle,Albert....its been 2 months now.....yesterday as i was watching my babies swim together with Albert i noticed something that scared me.....Alberts mouth has a hole,in other words a puncture...on the left side of its lips.....i notuced it when i fed him and scraps of the pallets leaked out of that puncture i`m worried what should i do...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh..i never heard of that..is it new or he had it from b4? is everything else ok with him?
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

well no its new and yes everything else about him is all right
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

i can\'t imgaine that..i hope someone here could help cz i didn\'t find anything about it..seems uncommon..i hope the little guy is ok
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

oh his doing fine i`m just wondering whether the puncture would close up
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

what\'s the size of the turtle? what\'s the hole\'s size? is there any blood?
i don\'t know if it would close up but i hope so..
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

He probably bit on something hard, the cuttlebone should help to wear down his beak enough to get rid of the hole.
evilnissan
Level 2
Level 2

Last edited by evilnissan on Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

cute turtles...they seem like they goiing to shed scute...so did u get a new set-up?? and what is look like?? u can tell me is nob,i\'m just curious!:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yep cute scared turtles:)
but careful the one in the last pic seems to be getting overweight..put it on a diet
  • Information