New to the Turtle World.

Discussions about turtles.
evilnissan
Level 2
Level 2

First off I want to say HI.

I found my 2 RES turtles at a pet store when i was out of town for work. This store has everything under the sun and while my coworkers were trying to hit on the girls feeding the 4 foot gator, I was mesmorized by a larg tank full of sanddollor sized turtles.

So the last night there I picked up 2 and made the drive home.

I dub the,,,, Go-GO and Jan.

Go-Go has the word GO on his belly and we just named the other one Jan for no reason, we dont even know what sex they are.

Im still trying to figure out the tank, its a 10 gallon tank, gravel in the bottom with some fake plants that they love, A larger rock and a ramp that goes up from the rock out of the water for a basking area.

I just have a standard fish tank filter with the charcoal(?) filter. I recently just put in a air pump and bubble stone to help keep the water in the tank moving and they like to play in the bubbles.

I use the reptomini baby food and a poor in chloren(sp) treatment.

Been having to clean the filters alot and had some funk problems just until changed the water and cleaned the rocks with a vacume syphene. Now the water is super clean and no funk.

I keep the tank 3/4ths full and they love to swim and come up to you when they think its feeding time.

They tend to eat a lot, the directions say not to feed more than what you trutle can eat in 20 minuets but how the heck do you figure that out.

Ive been kicking around the idea of feeder fish but want some advice.

I think my next envestment will be a big tank.

Ill take some pics and have them up in a few days.

After reading around some I need to check the lights I put in and make sure there UVB? they put out some decent heat and I have the water heater set on ~73 but I might turn it up when I get home in the morning.

We have been haveing trouble with keeping the filter clean.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome the three of u:)

ur story is lovely and i can\'t wait to see the pix..seems ur doing fine till now..do u know what species r they exactly?

don\'t forget to take pix of Go\'s belly:)
evilnissan
Level 2
Level 2

Im sure there just Red Ear Sliders, Unless there are differnt kinds of Red Ears then I have no Idea.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

oh sorry i didn\'t see that u mentioned it..great i LOVE sliders:)
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

the elite crew are slider owners so you chose right.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol..yeah yeah Image
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Welcome to the board, the way I keep my tank from getting too messy is that I take them out and into a salad bowl to feed them, that way the tank doesn\'t get too messy, I used to have rosey red guppies for them, they ate a couple of them and the others, I guess they lost interest in them up until the time the fish died(my fault, I hadn\'t cleaned the tank in about two weeks), I am going to get them 20 of them next time, that aught to give them some thing to chase:D
stunt pogoer
Level 3
Level 3

why does everyone love sliders? whats so great about them? i mean theyre not cool looking or anything lol
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ok we already knew that u hate sliders so no need to repeat it in every post of urs..and u don\'t have to depress newbies..sliders are the best
evilnissan
Level 2
Level 2

I like watching them swim around.

I need to go and get more filters, I rence them out but they only last a few times.

The water and rocks still look very clean just getting a little smell comming from filter area.
rachelmarie
Level 3
Level 3

evilnissan wrote:
I like watching them swim around.

I need to go and get more filters, I rence them out but they only last a few times.

The water and rocks still look very clean just getting a little smell comming from filter area.
i go through filters like crazy. and i don\'t even feed my turtle in his tank. it\'s just a turtle thing (they\'re dirty!) and it really depends on the filter you have. i\'ve just got a cheapy one for now because it does the job and i don\'t mind buying filters for him.

helpful hint .. i\'ve noticed if after you rinse them out .. you let them dry before you put them back in, that helps.

the smell might simply be because you are reusing filters. bacteria remains in the filter, therefore it\'s just \"recycling\" the smell.

is it overwhelming? or can you just smell it if you stick you head over the tank?
evilnissan
Level 2
Level 2

Last edited by evilnissan on Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

those turtles are sooo cute:)
they look like my green
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Look, the one on the bottom is winking at us:D:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

LOL yes!!
as if turtle A was coming to show itself then turtle B pushed it and winked at us
Captain_Turtle
Level 3
Level 3

stunt pogoer wrote:
why does everyone love sliders? whats so great about them? i mean theyre not cool looking or anything lol
Oh yeah? Well I bet your turtles aren\'t so cool looking either!
HorseAndTurtleGeek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, you said something about newbies, I guess thats me! lol :p Um, evilnissen (is that right?) do you have a picture of Go\'s underbelly? My turtles are WAY different than yours! They\'re like, well different. Ill do a pic someday. :)
yaya
Level 4
Level 4

about ur filter...since filter are made for fish(and turtles are way more messy)u should use a filter made for a least 3 time the size of ur tank...so u have a 10 gallons,u should use a filter made for 30 gallons and up...this should help a lot to keep ur tank clean and not smelly...but a 10 gallon is small for 2 turtles so maybe u should upgrade ur tank before buying a new filter...cute turtles btw...
evilnissan
Level 2
Level 2

Im kinda waiting to buy a bIgger tank.

Ill try that larger filter system like you said.

As for gogo Ill have to catch him soon or at lest take it when I change the water in the next few days.
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

hi Godlinked here....i wish to know more about the eastern spiny softshell turtle.....i wish to rear a few of the species could u give me a few advise thank u...
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

welcome to the board:)
here\'s something i found about the softshell u asked for
http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-spiny.htm
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

It seems that spiny turtles grow bigger than than a red eared slider.....now i`m wondering if our pet turtles grow to a full adult size and there is no room to put it where can we put them as in if we can`t put them in the house anymore....do we send them somewhere the zoo or something...i`m doing this for future planning....help me out..
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by reptileman on Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

uh reptileman what do u mean by banning me??? cuz u know i ain`t here to get banned...i was just asking a question cuz i`m not sure about what to do if my turtles get big....besides i don`t have room for an outdoor house...thats why i can`t be sure.
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

naw, not you I\'m talking about stunt pogoer.
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

oh ok but well u should have mentioned his name but its ok no offence taken....hope to learn from u more....see ya
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

I\'ve fixed it so that it is directed to the right person and I\'m sorry for the confusion. :D
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

ok understood....so what turtle do u have....i`ve got three red eared sliders named Jade,Diamond and Cliff Hanger....i`m into rearing others like the spiny softshell...they cost $3 bucks here...i don`t know what other types of turtles would be interesting.....looking for turtles that have very special features like the spiny...wonder what u think of the mata-mata
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

ok understood....so what turtle do u have....i`ve got three red eared sliders named Jade,Diamond and Cliff Hanger....i`m into rearing others like the spiny softshell...they cost $3 bucks here...i don`t know what other types of turtles would be interesting.....looking for turtles that have very special features like the spiny...wonder what u think of the mata-mata...this goes for everyone who enter this section...
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

I have a red eared slider. I wish I could have a pastel one but there\'s none around here.( -_-) alligator snappers are also cool.
Last edited by reptileman on Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

godlinked86 wrote:
ok understood....so what turtle do u have....i`ve got three red eared sliders named Jade,Diamond and Cliff Hanger....i`m into rearing others like the spiny softshell...they cost $3 bucks here...i don`t know what other types of turtles would be interesting.....looking for turtles that have very special features like the spiny...wonder what u think of the mata-mata...this goes for everyone who enter this section...

A face only a mother could love:D:D:D
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

wow straykingfisher that a mata-mata? its some massive turtle eh?? how much do they cost?? is it easy to care for one?? what are its requirments.
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

got another question do mata mata turtles bite like gator turtles do
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

This site might answer your questions:

http://centralpets.com/critterpages/rep ... 2628.shtml
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

OMG this is scary Image
godlinked86
Level 3
Level 3

whats the difference between a pastel RES and a ordinary RES
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

A Mata Mata can cost anywhere from $400 to close to $1000. Only the most expirenced hobbyists keep them.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

why is that?? normal RES\'s are cool enough:D
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information