feeding for outdoor RES and appopriate care

Post any questions you have about a turtle outdoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your outdoor setup picture we would love to see it.
Jewelzie
Level 1
Level 1

-J
Last edited by Jewelzie on Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

wow i envy u for the outdoor setup:) it\'s normal for turtles to by shy at the beginning and especially they don\'t see u often since they are outside..maybe u will have to add some pellets to their diet and not be totally dependent on green leaves..they need some proteins too
Jewelzie
Level 1
Level 1

Dixieee and Straykingfisher,

Thanks for your replies. If I knew how to place a photo in my reply, as Straykingfisher did, I could show you my set-up.

Straykingfisher, do I float the dandelion greens on the water\'s surface? And yes, dandelions are the small sunflower looking ones - everyone\'s hated weed.

Dixieee, there are lots of turtle sized feeder fish in the pond, which I believe, the turtles eat. I occasionally have to replenish them.

I would add frogs, but I can\'t seem to find ones that are native to my area at a pet store.

As for pellets, the feeder fish seem to eat all of them. Should I place the pellets and leafy greens in the water when it is the warmer part of the day?

Thanks for your thoughtful and considerate help. My turtles will greatly appreciate it. :)

Regards,

jewelz
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

You need to have an online album to post pictures on the forum, I suggest using www.photobucket.com they work very well and it doesn\'t cost a thing to start your album, others let you post a couple of times and then you get the dreaded [X]\'s. Looking forward to the pics.:D
Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jewelzie
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the feeding suggestion. I\'ll try it.

I\'d heard that the dandelion was originally brought from Europe by settlers as a crop plant. Now it\'s the dreaded weed.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

You\'re welcome.

I hadn\'t heard about the dandelion being brought from Europe, I guess I\'ll keep reading:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

ur most welcome:)
i\'m really looking forward to see ur setup..i appreciate outdoor ones
and yes u could place the food on their basking areas so they won\'t be wasted if the turtles didn\'t eat them soon
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

ooog! I missed another post!! now I know how you guys feel when we keep posting!!
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

We waited and waited but you didn\'t show up:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

don\'t worry..2/4 answeredImage
reptileman
Level 4
Level 4

I\'m busy during christmas time! once this is over, I\'ll be on more often ok?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

u guys are very lucky..we didn\'t even take a holiday today:(
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Last edited by STRAYKINGFISHER on Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JEFFREY
Level 1
Level 1

they sell clips that float on the water at the pet stores in the reptile department. RES Turtles will not eat something that is left on the a rock it needs to be floating.
they will only eat food if its floating
  • Information