Mineral Desposits or Dry Shell Rot?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

All of my turtles except my smallest one have pretty much always had this (not just while I\'ve owned them, they had it when I got them as well). They all have white patches scattered over their shells. There are no pits. The white patches have never been wet or leaked pus or shown any signs of redness or softening. The spots are almost always present, but spots seem to go away then new ones form (as they shed?). The patches can sometimes be flakey and other times they feel just like the rest of the carapace (if you felt the turtles shell in the dark, you probably couldn\'t tell where the patches were). The patches are translucent (kinda like a fingernail) in most parts, so you can see shell beneath them.

Since they\'ve pretty much always had it and shown no signs of illness, and since I live in an area with extremely hard water, I\'m lead to believe it\'s mineral deposits (which I guess are not harmful, but look bad). When I took Gamera to the vet about his eye I asked the vet and she said it didn\'t look like shell rot, but she\'d need to do a culture to be sure ($$$$$$$$$$$).

I add aquarium salt to all my tanks, but I know this doesn\'t do a whole lot to soften the water. Anyone else ever had this problem?
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

yeah many people encountered similar things..in most cases it was just shedding scutes so if they are healthy and doing everything normally then there\'s nothing much to worry about:)
Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

Cool, I figured it\'d be something like that.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

if u could post pix it\'ll be more specific
Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

Her behavior hasn\'t changed at all. Any suggestions?
Last edited by Jericho199 on Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

first of all,,cool turtles u got i can\'t wait until mine get to that size:)

second,,not all turtles shed the same and still it looks like shedding to me..if everything is fine then read this it has a suggestion for the shedding
\"Scutes that are shed will often appear to lift up on the edges as they begin to release from the shell. Sometimes they will not come loose completely and air will get trapped underneath. This will give a metallic, copper-colored appearance underwater. This is normal. However, if the scute is not shed in an acceptable amount of time (usually a week or so), then you might want to gently assist the turtle in shedding these scutes. Most times, gentle pressure or a gentle brushing with a soft toothbrush will do the trick. Never try to remove a scute that is not ready to be shed. This can cause injury, bleeding and can oftentimes remove too much, leaving the bone and soft tissue open to infection. If your turtle is not shedding properly, then an evaluation of the diet is in order. Most times, failure to properly shed scutes falls back on a lack of vitamins in the diet, mainly Vitamin E. An increase in Vitamin E in their food is required.\"
from http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/medshell.htm
Jericho199
Level 3
Level 3

Just throwing in this one cuz it\'s adorable :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v207/ ... age261.jpg

It\'s like they know they\'re cute or something.
STRAYKINGFISHER
Level 5
Level 5

Everybody\'s got a turtle pile somewhere:D
dixieee
Level 5
Level 5

lol yeah we all got turtle piles..and yes they are cute:)
  • Information